CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Sex-linked pattern aberrancies?

Old 09-21-2020, 10:33 PM   #21
Shiari
You aren't bringing up facts at all! I've said, repeatedly, that it's speculation about this clutch! It would be nifty if! It's an exciting experiment and possibility and just very interesting it only really showed up in the girls this time around! And you are coming in basically telling me that it's pointless, making false claims about temperature affecting sex (you have NO evidence!), and are literally on here only speculating about why it couldn't possibly be sex-linked. When, again, I've never declared it 100 percent is! There's a reason I'm going to be breeding him again next year and really keeping an eye on the clutches!

No zigzags next year? Hunh. What a strange occurrence in this one clutch.
Zigzags but only in the males next year? What on earth is going on, how interesting.
Zigzags but only in the females again? Hmmmmn... time to really start figuring this out.

Again, I'm not threatened by any supposed 'facts' you're bringing. They're either wrong (temp being linked to sex in corns) or don't apply to my animals (such as temperature variation affecting the pattern as the babies were not only from the top/bottom/middle but spread out). You are spouting opinions. And those opinions are so far only as to why it absolutely isn't possibly maybe sex linked.

I'm not threatened, I'm tired of seeing this pop up with replies only for those replies to be "but have you considered this NEW reason why your 'what if' is completely wrong?????"

Old 09-21-2020, 10:38 PM   #22
Shiari
Let me quote myself again from the first page:

Quote:
It'll be interesting to see if this was just the world's strangest fluke, or if it is indeed genetic. Next year should prove that out when I breed him to several different females. If his daughters show up wonky again, even if just at a 50% rate, I'm probably on to something, and it's probably Z-linked.

Old 09-21-2020, 11:06 PM   #23
Paleosmith
Fact: Evidently only you are allowed to express your opinion on this forum without threat of ridicule.
Fact: If you had read the article on the link I posted previously you would realize that snake sex chromosomes are likely more complex than than the antiquated view you just quoted.
Fact: There are plenty of male zigzags out there and stating so is not being contrary... its just a fact.
Fact: I did not say that corn snake gender can be determined by incubating at different temps and I don't appreciate you taking my words out of context. I wondered out loud (just like you did about zigzags in general) about whether it might play a role despite the conventional wisdom being against it. I pointed toward an actual peer-reviewed study of temp and temp fluctuations which have been suggested by some to play a part in gender reversal in some instances and that perhaps there is a lot more to learn (suggesting that perhaps we should not be so rigid in our assumptions).
Fact: I'm sorry this convo has degenerated to this point. I was actually interested in a conversation that might benefit everyone interested in this topic. Isn't that supposed to be one of the functions of this forum?
Fact: I sincerely wish you luck with your breeding experiment.
Fact: Now I am done!

Old 09-22-2020, 06:44 PM   #24
Shiari
Never once did I ridicule you. I got frustrated with every time this thread being updated, it was yet another negative comment. Yet another "you're wrong because" is not a conversation. Do that enough times and it stops feeling like "have you considered" and instead becomes "You're stupid and I found another way to point that out."
I never said zigzag is only ever females. Not every zigzag is heritable. Not every zigzag is going to be the same cause. I said in THIS ONE CLUTCH that only my females were really showing a proper degree of zigzag, and asked if any one else had experienced something similar. That's it. That was the thread. "Has anyone else had something like this happen?".
This was nothing but a thread showing an interesting happening in a clutch, and speculation on how it would happen IF it's even genetic at all.

Old 09-23-2020, 07:41 PM   #25
Frank Pinello
Paleosmith-
Your 9/21 post got under my skin too. Why don’t we all end this Thread because it’s no longer getting anywhere. This thread started out interesting then went quickly down hill on that 9/21 post.
I’m done with this thread....bye!

Old 09-23-2020, 09:50 PM   #26
hypnoctopus
So just out of curiosity, I went through the first 20 pages of corn snakes listed on morph market. I looked at every single listing, not counting motley, stripe, tessera, terrazzo, scaleless, blizzards, representative photos, and unknown genders. I also skipped listings that didn't show the full body (or at least most of the body). I counted the number of connected saddles on each snake and noted whether it was male or female.

Of the corn snakes with connected saddles, not only were the majority of them female, but also the number of the connected saddles was usually much higher than the number of connected saddles on males. Out of all the ads I looked at, 20 of them contained males with connected saddles, whereas 32 of them contained females. The average number of saddles that were connected on males was 2.75, whereas the average number for females was 5.125. Females were also much more likely to have a long string of connected saddles, whereas males might technically have 4 connected saddles, but those 4 would be in 2 sets. The range of numbers of connected saddles for males was 2-6. Females had from 2-17, with quite a few having connected saddles above 10.

I definitely think you are on to something... I'm also wondering (if you are indeed correct) if pinstripe motleys might be 'nicer' as females - as in, more connected motley dots.

Old 09-25-2020, 08:29 AM   #27
scmartin27
I know I chimed in on the facebook discussion but...

I figured I'd also post my information here since this is more permanent than facebook (hopefully!)

I've noticed in my collection that the zigzags that show up are about 75% female. These stem from different lines, too.

I won't go into detail about every zigzag I've produced (I'd be here all day lol) but the main line with the zigzags that I work with now originated with a Female Ultramel Lavender who was a full zigzag. She bred to a gold dust motley, and the only few that had any pattern oddities were the females in the clutch. The males didnt have any. I'm now breeding her daughters into my Halo line of snows and, again, the majority of the zigzags / aztecs are female. And the males that DO have any aberrancies have many fewer aberrancies than the females. about half the females got the zigzags, and about half of those females had over 50% of their bodies covered in zigzags. Only about 1/4 of the males got any zigzags, and those only cover 25% or less of their bodies.

The few times that I have gotten a decent percentage of aberrantly patterned males, I had just as many or more females who were.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google