CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Double feeders

Old 08-29-2020, 09:48 PM   #1
waldo
Double feeders

is it really a bad idea to feed a snake two smaller food items instead of one bigger one?
Its a popular opinion on Facebook groups that only pinkies should be feed double, anything bigger is too difficult to digest.
This just doesn't make sense to me. As long as its a appropriate sized meal, why would how its packaged matter?

Old 08-30-2020, 07:38 PM   #2
Frank Pinello
I see no problem with that.
I’ve done it before when needed. But it will cost you more money in feeder mice.

Old 08-30-2020, 08:55 PM   #3
hypnoctopus
Personally I think there is more nutrition in one large feeder versus two smaller ones. Two smaller feeders have more skin and less meat than one larger one of the same weight. Plus, I believe I've read that more mature prey is healthier than babies. All that being said, doubling up on smaller feeders every now and then to use up a size or whatever is probably fine. Feeding a snake only pinkies its entire life is probably not.

Old 08-30-2020, 09:46 PM   #4
paulh
As long as it's a meal, how it's packaged does not particularly matter. Snakes are opportunists. They will happily take several small prey items at the same time. This has been observed in the wild many times for many species.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google