CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Trouble Shed

Old 03-22-2020, 10:38 PM   #1
Averysmom
Trouble Shed

My corn is 4 years old. I’ve had him for 6 months and he’s had about 5 great sheds no problem. This time around he had some troubles. He got his head off but I had to get a warm towel to help him get the rest off. He still has a couple little pieces around the head that haven’t come off yet. I’m a little concerned and want to make some tweaks to my husbandry to make sure his shed is good next time. So I was thinking of getting a humidifier that attaches to the tank? Is this a good idea? And if so, how often should I have it going. I don’t want it to get too humid in there. So I was thinking of just turning it on when I see he’s starting to hide during shed time. Another thing I read was to increase feedings a bit to ensure they have enough nutrients. I was thinking of instead of feeding him every 12 days, that I’d move him back down to every 10 days. I started feeding him larger asf than the feeder mice he used to eat so that’s why I went up to 12 days, but maybe that’s the problem.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-23-2020, 09:00 PM   #2
DollysMom
Hi. I wouldn’t recommend a humidifier for a corn snake. Their optimum humidity range is 40 to 60%. Too much humidity may leave your snake vulnerable to a respiratory infection. What helps with shedding is a humid hide. Search here for more information. A while ago I posted a tutorial. I use sphagnum moss in my humid hides and all of my snakes have them. While all snakes are individuals by the time they are 4 they usually don’t shed that often. There may be an underlying problem you can’t see. It doesn’t hurt to get a vet check. This also will give the peace of mind that you already.have a vet in a true emergency. Best wishes.

Old 03-24-2020, 09:16 PM   #3
Dennis Gulla
I’m not sure what type of enclosure you have, but if it’s a glass enclosure with a screen lid, this can be a common problem. It’s difficult to keep any humidity due to the screen lid. As previously mentioned, a humid hide will help. I check my snakes daily. If I notice one going into shed I mist with slightly warm water every other day until they go clear. Than I mist once a day every day until they shed. I’ve never had a problem with shedding since.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google