CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Hybrids?

Old 04-11-2002, 07:04 AM   #1
LizS
Hybrids?

Some of the cornsnake morphs, if I understand correctly, have been created by hybridization with other species of Elaphe, like E. obsoleta.

Has anyone tried to create fertile hybrids of E. guttata with some of the interesting ratsnake species from around the world? Wouldn't it be cool if a green corn morph could be developed by outcrossing with, say, E. prassina (a green old world ratsnake, available in the market for a high price)?

Here's a link where you can see pictures of other Elaphe:

http://www.ratsnakes.com/species.html

Old 04-11-2002, 09:56 AM   #2
jim
mutts....

there are many hybrids out there. probably the most popular are the jungle corn, and the creamsicle corn...
the jungle is a corn snake x cal. king and the creamsicle is a corn x emory. i do know some people make creamsicles without the emory blood for a "pure" creamsicle but it is hard to find them as bright or brilliant looking in my limited experience.
on kathy love's site corn-utopia in her picture gallery there are some pictures of corns crossed with milks, gophers, and kings if you'd like to see some crosses. enjoy!!! ---jim
p.s. i believe the original bubblegum rats were produced from yellow rats, black rats, and corns but am unsure of the exact mix so don't quote me on this...

Old 04-14-2002, 05:12 AM   #3
joe clark
Bubblegum Rats..........

I *believe* the bubblegums are a three way cross between yellow, black, and everglades rats.
Since they have been around a fairly long time, I would assume the amel gene came from the black rats.
joe clark

Old 04-14-2002, 06:01 AM   #4
jim
thanks joe... i was unsure about the bubblegums... :)

Old 04-19-2002, 04:05 PM   #5
kellum
what does the black rat bring to the mix that is desirable?
a post above said the amel gene but is there any thing else, like the fact that the patterning on the black is masked or disappears as the snake gets older?

Old 04-21-2002, 01:03 PM   #6
snakes364
Lightbulb corn snake genes match quite a few others

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google