CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

bloodred?

Old 04-23-2002, 06:09 AM   #11
Rachel
Clint Boyer.......

Hey, I was wondering about the pic you posted of your bloodred. It looks identical to what I thought was my normal phase corn. What are the differences? Anyone?? Ike had the red eyes etc but has very thin blacK rings round his saddles. I thought that bloodreds had no black?! Maybe I just looked at Clint's pic wrong or Im mistaken about the bloodreds. I know this may sound stupid but Bloodreds arent that common here so Im not too sure about their colouration or genetic traits!

Old 04-23-2002, 09:06 AM   #12
Clint Boyer
Bloodreds

Bloodred is an odd morph. This is my first year owning them so I can't tell you too much other then what I've read or been told.

Bloodred has been selectively bred to be the solid red snake that many of them are today. Some of the traits you'll notice when they are young are an almost patternless head that is mostly grey when born. The saddles fade into the sides and mix with the background color. There will be no side blotches or belly checkering. The belly, or ventral side will be white or white mixed with red towards the back. Young snakes will show the saddles, but that will gradually fade as they grow and become darker red. They will have dark eyes like a normal snake, red eyes indicate amelanism which is a separate gene mutaion. Bloodred is not a simple recessive trait, it is a complex combination of traits that can be variable in each individual snake.

I hope that helps....

Old 04-23-2002, 09:10 AM   #13
kenalotia
Bloodreds start out looking basically like normal corns, except for their heads and bellies. The heads are often grayish instead of normal colored, and the bellies are white. As they get older, their background color gradually turns red to match their red blotches. A regular bloodred does have black. The black just tends to get covered up by the red as the snake gets older. There are also amelanistic bloodreds that have no black at all, and hypomelanistic bloodreds.

Old 04-23-2002, 10:58 PM   #14
Ares
Liz...

Is it just me or does that bloodred look
a little small for 9 months?

Is it an older picture?

Old 04-24-2002, 06:21 AM   #15
LizS
Ares...

The picture is recent, took it the same day I posted. The snake measures about 17 inches, and I have big hands. He, along with a hypo okeetee I have are the smallest of my stash of corns, who are all very close in age. There is a lot of individual variation in growth rate, even tho all are treated the same, come from the same breeder, etc.

Old 04-24-2002, 07:26 PM   #16
Serpwidgets
Quote:
As they get older, their background color gradually turns red to match their red blotches.
I hear this description a lot, but I've seen very few bloodreds which actually fit that description. In many of them the background color does not turn red, and instead they become orange or tan or brown.

Old 04-25-2002, 02:30 PM   #17
Darin Chappell
As soon as I get my camera up and running, I'll show one that fits that description

Old 04-26-2002, 12:38 AM   #18
Serpwidgets
To be honest, some of Daniel's pics of the bright orange bloods are every bit as gorgeous as the really red ones.

Old 04-27-2002, 04:42 AM   #19
pewter
hey...mine are not orange!!! they are solid red :-)
ok...they are brown and I donīt like it :-(
the thing is that if you have dark red ones you would like to have orange
ones and if you have orange ones you want red ones. thatīs why we are never
happy with the things we have!

Old 04-27-2002, 01:29 PM   #20
Clint Boyer
Such is life!

Personally, I kind of like the motor oil colored Bloods!

I'm curious to see how this one developes

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google