CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Normal corn, het for what?

Old 05-01-2002, 08:56 PM   #1
gekko1
Question Normal corn, het for what?

so i have a normal male corn and want to breed him with the end result not being normal babies. what morph corn should i try? i thought maybe an oketee or amel. which morph trait do you think is most common in corns that i should try? thanks.

Old 05-02-2002, 12:35 AM   #2
Khaman
Breed to a snow it has both of the most common traits Amel and Anery

Old 05-02-2002, 12:47 AM   #3
gekko1
are snows and albinos the same?

Old 05-02-2002, 03:17 AM   #4
Kevin M
No. For the most part when an albino is mentioned people mean an Amelanistic. If you wanted to get technical though there are 2 corn albinos out there. the "Red Albino" (Amel) & "Black Albino" (Anery). But in short. No, A Snow and albino are not the same.)

Old 05-02-2002, 06:56 AM   #5
jim
morph genetics...

gekko, you need widgets!!! lol... check out serpwidgets site. i'll warn you though, there is alot to learn on that site, but will probably explain better than anyone here in a short post can possibly begin to. lots of good info!!! ---jim

Old 05-02-2002, 10:47 AM   #6
gekko1
Question

so a snow is a corn lacking amel and anery, basicaly a white canvas? so if i breed my normal corn with the snow i should have normal babies with het for snow unless my normal corn is het for amel or anery, which will show in the babies? what about a hypo snow, what is hypo exactly?

Old 05-02-2002, 12:15 PM   #7
CornsnakeKeeper
A snow lacks red and black pigment therfore it is a combination of Amel (which lacks black) and Anery (which lacks red). So, they are white and will usually take on a yellowish colored tone.

Normals most commonly carry the gene for anery or amel so if you breed a snow to it, you will have a chance at getting either amels or anerys. Whichever he's het for. This is only if he is het though.

No one I know produces hypo snows exept for Mikes Motleys. Not even sure if he still has those, though.

Good luck!

Old 05-02-2002, 03:11 PM   #8
Darin Chappell
Hypos are those snakes that have a reduction of black in their coloration. The word "hypomelanism" means literally "under black," referring to the reducing of the melanin levels shown. The same greek word "hypo" is used in the name "hypodermic," which describes those needles that go "under the skin."

Therefore, I am not certain what benefit a hypo snow would produce. A reduced black effect on an animal that has no black? I know that it may very well reduce the width of the markings on the animal that would have been black on a normally colored specimen, but is that really something to seek? Maybe for some, but I doubt I'd be much interested.

Darin

Old 05-02-2002, 06:08 PM   #9
CornsnakeKeeper
Here's a link to the picture of the Hypo Motley that I mentioned from Mike's Motleys. Appears to just have intensified the yellow. very awesome snake although I don't think he still has it.

http://www.mikesmotleys.com/htm/pages/snow_hypo.htm

Old 05-02-2002, 09:34 PM   #10
gekko1
Talking

i figured on getting snow if not a hypo snow for my male. i figure i'm gonna get normal babies regardless so maybe my male is het for amel or anery and i'll get a surprise. thanks alot people.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google