CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

New to me albino king snake

Old 08-21-2014, 10:55 PM   #1
TwoCorns
New to me albino king snake

Hi everyone. So I have a friend who is moving out of state and couldn't take his albino king snake with him, he said he was just going to release her and I told him I'd take her cuz i don't think she would survive in the wild. I don't think he kept that great of care of her. She looks healthy but her tank was very smelly and he said that he would catch live mice around the house and feed them to her. I got her home and deep cleaned the tank with freah bedding and water and such. And today she seems to be relaxed, she was basking in her heat lamp tonight. I'd like to handle her but I am curious as to what things I can do to get her to let me hold her. She was very nervous when I reached in to pet her and was rattling her tail. I didn't push anything and I jus stand by her tank rubbing where she is giving the illusion I am petting her and jus talkin to her softly. Am I on a good track or should I be doin something else. Thanks in advance. Greg

Old 08-21-2014, 11:03 PM   #2
MysticExotics
I would leave her alone for a week, and let her adjust to being in a new home, before handling her and feeding her.
It would probably be a good idea to get a fecal done on her, sinice she was fed WC mice, she could have picked something up from one of them.

In my experience, Kings are generally a bit more skittish than Corns are.

In time, she may just become accustomed to handling.

Don't forget to add some pics of her!

Old 08-22-2014, 03:15 AM   #3
daddio207
Glad you took her ! Releasing captive bred snakes into the wild is irresponsible.
Yes, lets see some pics! Albino king snake is pretty generic since there are many species of king snakes with Amel genes.
In my collection of kings they can be a pleasure to hold and gentle or have very aggressive feeding response biting at anything that moves including you LOL. With patience and handling (once acclimated to it's environment) a king snake can go from aggressive to passive in time.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:24 AM   #4
TwoCorns

Thanks for the advice. Here is a pic of her...hope it works.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:46 AM   #5
daddio207
Hard to tell with the lighting but looks like an albino pinstripe Cal King. Very nice!
I have a pair of yearlings. Beautiful lavender with bright yellow pinstripes.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:47 AM   #6
TwoCorns
She does have yellow stripes down the length of her

Old 01-22-2015, 02:39 AM   #7
quidamphx
Kings are generally more squirmy too in my experience. Mine doesn't often mind handling but will still often fling himself all over the place .

Glad to hear you're giving a snake a good home. It will settle in and get used to you.

My advice is to read the basic care sheets thoroughly and make sure you have everything you need. If someone didn't meet the proper husbandry needs of a snake, I wouldn't put it past them to have a heat pad that's too warm, etc. Thermostat is a must, but don't spend a zillion dollars on pet store markups. (Unless you have a good supplier). I buy ones for seed cultivation that only deviate a degree or two, more than fine for a snake and cheap!

Congrats on an awesome pet. I want more!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google