CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Used to eat outside tank, now will only eat in tank?? Weird

Old 02-09-2014, 05:58 PM   #1
weerogue
Used to eat outside tank, now will only eat in tank?? Weird

Since I got Alice she was 10 weeks every week since then she has always eatn in a feeding bin, the past few weeks she will only eat inside the tank, I thought she would of been used to feeding outside obviously not... Anyone else had this change of eating place??

Old 02-09-2014, 06:21 PM   #2
Nythain
Snakes can be finicky at best sometimes. Doesn't surprise me much, though it's definitely not the standard "normal" behavior. Usually they get conditioned eventually. Has she outgrown her feeding bin, have you tried leaving her alone in her bin covered up for a while, etc?

Old 02-10-2014, 08:58 AM   #3
weerogue
Ye it's a big bin she used to always eat with the lid off aswell, tried several times leaving her with it and she just doesn't seem interested. She tries to escape out her bin always find her wedged on the lid lol, but if she is eating and prefers it in her tank I'll just have to go with it... Strange but

Old 02-10-2014, 09:38 AM   #4
Alicia P
How old is Alice?

Old 02-10-2014, 11:14 AM   #5
Nythain
Hehe, Alicia was probably about to go to my next thought. If she's old enough, the "out of enclosure" excitement could more than likely be nature calling. Love is in the air this time of year, and while females don't usually get quite as excited as males do during this time, it's definitely not unheard of for females to display an increase in activity and even go off feed temporarily.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:33 PM   #6
Alicia P
Unless you are absolutely positive it's also possible that Alice is actually an Alex

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Old 02-10-2014, 02:02 PM   #7
weerogue
Yeah that's what I thought at first she's been probed she's 15month now, just strange I thought maybe it was the temp outside was too cold and she just prefers feeling safe in her tank

Old 02-10-2014, 02:13 PM   #8
Nythain
Honestly, it could be one or more of many factors. She still eats, and that's the important part. After spring time passes and the possible urge to mate subsides you could try bin feeding again.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:58 PM   #9
weerogue
Yeah man that's true plus I live in Scotland it could be due to our weather that's always a factor, yeah she still eats Like a champ one more question what would u say would speed up growth in her if like her big (long) healthy. 1 large mouse once every 10 days or medium once a week?

Old 02-10-2014, 03:42 PM   #10
Nythain
Never feed to grow. Feed to nourish. Powerfeeding can have detrimental impact on a snakes health and lifespan. That being said, 1 large mouse every 10 days is more ummm nutrition for lack of a better word, than 1 medium every 7 days. But again, you should be feeding prey items sized according to the weight and girth of your snake, and frequency of feeding should really be based on age and size of your snake. They will grow when and how they want to, all snakes are different.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google