CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Baby corn snake refusing food; possibly shedding?

Old 11-11-2018, 07:05 PM   #1
noodle lover
Question Baby corn snake refusing food; possibly shedding?

I have a corn snake that is about 7 weeks old and I got her 3 weeks ago yesterday. She's readily eaten 2 live pinkies since I got her, but has not eaten since being given a mouse about 4 hours ago. She eats every five days, and was due to eat today. I'm not sure why, but I've narrowed it down to three reasons.
a. I tried to feed her in a plastic storage container about twice the size of the deli cup she's been eating in, and she may not have appreciated the change in feeding locations. However, I did later try to feed her in the original deli cup with no success
b. I've had her for a while and there's a good chance she's due to shed, seeing as she hasn't yet; however, she doesn't appear to be dull or have blue eyes (she's an anery morph, so I'm unsure if she's supposed to look any different)
c. It's highly unlikely that she's ill, seeing as I've been paying very close attention to her since I got her, and her eyes are clear, she has no cuts, bruises, or lumps, and her breathing is normal without any noises. However, I did check her gums, and though I'm not completely sure, they appeared to have a bluish tint. I don't know if that's a cause of concern, but I'm pretty sure that's not normal
Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm quite familiar with the pain of losing a snake and I really want to make sure there's nothing wrong with her and I'm just paranoid about her health
Thanks!

Old 11-12-2018, 10:24 AM   #2
Twolunger
I assume you meant she hasn't eaten in 4 days. I suspect she is getting ready to shed, and there's no reason for concern, at this point. Snakes don't all behave in a predictable manner. I have some hatchlings that wouldn't eat unless they were fed in their little deli cups. Others would eat if a pinky was held in the palm of your hand. Some won't eat even a day or two before their eyes cloud up, and others eat with no hesitation. Wait a few days and try again, but if you notice her color becomes dull, just wait until after she sheds.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:58 PM   #3
noodle lover
She shed a few hours ago, thank you!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google