CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Help..!! Mites problem

Old 12-10-2018, 06:56 PM   #1
Ro77
Help..!! Mites problem

Hi everyone, 1st time snake owner but ive had other reptiles before. I got a baby corn close to a month ago. The last week and a half he hasnt eaten. tried to feed yesturday.. )sunday) an he just struck at the food. He never did that before.. Today in his water bowl i found what looked like a mite im guessing..? I picked him up and he was moving his head but barely moving his lower half. i looked him over didnt see anything but the black spck in the bowl makes me think mites.. What sould i do.. thanks ahead of time for the help

Old 12-11-2018, 03:11 PM   #2
blacktip
I think a trip to the vet would be your best bet.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:44 AM   #3
Twolunger
Sorry I couldn't reply sooner, as my server was down and I had no internet. Anyway, your corn would have to have a lot of mites to debilitate it like that. You would surely notice them, especially around the head and neck. I suspect something else is causing the problem when he doesn't move his lower half. What you can try is soaking him in LUKEWARM water and see if he passes any obstructions, like pieces of aspen or other substrate. If the water feels warm to you it's too hot. I'd soak him for at least 20 minutes and make sure the water isn't too deep. I bought a really nice snake from a breeder and it ate once and then died a week later. I did a necropsy and found aspen pieces blocking his intestines. Since I use paper towels for young corns I knew the problem originated at the breeder's. You can visit your vet, and see what he/she can do.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:26 PM   #4
Ro77
Thanks for the input the funny thing is when I moved him to his Warmside of his hide for about an hour or so I went back and checked on him and he was moving around checking things out not moving fast but moving this whole body so I don't know what's going on. I have the heat back on its thermostat temps are reading 81 to 85 with the thermostat. And the warm hi is a 1/2 log when I use the temp gun an depending on where I pointed in the log it was anywhere from 78 to mid 80s.. I find that kind of strange that one spot in the hide would be a lot warmer than the other part of the hide.. I just really want to make sure I'm doing the right thing by my 1st ever snake

Old 12-13-2018, 07:28 PM   #5
Ro77
It should say heat pad not heat back.. Stupid voice texting.. There is a heat pad with the thermostat attached and I use a temp gun to actually check the temps the thermostat probe is on top of the Aspen in the warm hide

Old 03-09-2019, 07:17 AM   #6
Vivianhealy
A few days ago I also had to face similar issue of spider mites at home and in the garden, damaging all the Plants. Spider mites are most common in summer, dry conditions, especially at natural places. Neem Oil works in a similar way to SM-90, though Neem oil doesn't smell as nice and will leave an unpleasant smell on buds when used to treat flowering plants. Instead of This, I would like to suggest to contact Professional Exterminator like exterminator Sacramento for rodents, mites, bug, problem or can visit the official site To get Rid of Spider mites permanently.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:24 AM   #7
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivianhealy View Post
A few days ago I also had to face similar issue of spider mites at home and in the garden, damaging all the Plants. Spider mites are most common in summer, dry conditions, especially at natural places. Neem Oil works in a similar way to SM-90, though Neem oil doesn't smell as nice and will leave an unpleasant smell on buds when used to treat flowering plants. Instead of This, I would like to suggest to contact Professional Exterminator like exterminator Sacramento for rodents, mites, bug, problem or can visit the official site To get Rid of Spider mites permanently.
You do know this is a corn snake forum and garden spider mites of the Acari family Tetranychidae are not the same as snake mites Ophionyssus natricis? You must be extremely careful when giving advice, such as calling in an exterminator. Most products meant for snake mites have an active ingredient of Permethrin 0.5% up to 1%. There is a huge distinction between mites that thrive on sap and those that thrive on blood.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google