CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Corn snake isn't hiding?

Old 10-10-2016, 02:18 AM   #1
violetdraca
Corn snake isn't hiding?

This might be a silly concern but I just want to make sure everything is okay and normal. I've had my corn snake for about four months, the temperatures in her tank are all accurate at about 84-86F on the warm side and 75F on the cool side. She has two identical hides, one for each side. She's used them since I first got her and she's gotten a little bigger but still fits in her hides just fine.

She just hasn't been hiding much lately and I'm not used to seeing her out this much, especially after feeding. I know they feel secure when they hide so I just want to make sure she isn't stressed the way she is. Is she just comfortable? She's become even more tame than she was and she is eating, pooping, shedding fine. I'm just wondering why she hasn't been hiding much and if I should get a different hide or if she's alright how she is.

Thanks for reading!

This is how she's been lately instead of hiding

Old 10-10-2016, 09:15 AM   #2
Dragonling
She's probably quite comfortable. Some of my adults and subadults will sit out of hiding, sometimes even appearing to watch me while I'm in the room.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:36 AM   #3
DollysMom
I notice that while she is out, she is still kind of in a corner between the hide and the glass, and also under the branch. So she's not as completely exposed as she looks to you. As long as your temps are good I wouldn't worry. I've noticed that mine go though phases, sticking in one hide and ignoring another and suddenly the ignored one becomes their favorite. They know what they need as long as you've given them multiple good choices, which you have.

Old 10-10-2016, 11:07 AM   #4
sockSnek
Mine started doing that too a little while back. I found her this morning in the exact same position as yours in that picture.

She also seems to swing between favorite spots every once in a while. Lately her favorite thing to do has been to stretch out aaaallll the way along the long edge of the tank under the substrate. I seriously thought she escaped because I couldn't find her.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:36 PM   #5
violetdraca
Okay she seems to be comfortable, thanks for replying! It does seem as if she watches me quite often, even when she's in her hide she'll peek her head out to watch, very curious snake I guess.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:42 PM   #6
violetdraca
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
I notice that while she is out, she is still kind of in a corner between the hide and the glass, and also under the branch. So she's not as completely exposed as she looks to you. As long as your temps are good I wouldn't worry. I've noticed that mine go though phases, sticking in one hide and ignoring another and suddenly the ignored one becomes their favorite. They know what they need as long as you've given them multiple good choices, which you have.
Okay sounds like it's pretty normal for them to go through phases of choosing different hiding spots, she's also almost always on the cool side but she hasn't had any issues digesting her food, so everything seems to be alright. Thanks!

Old 10-10-2016, 12:52 PM   #7
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetdraca View Post
Okay sounds like it's pretty normal for them to go through phases of choosing different hiding spots, she's also almost always on the cool side but she hasn't had any issues digesting her food, so everything seems to be alright. Thanks!
Funny you would mention it. Mine goes into the cool hide as often as the warm hide immediately after feeding, but usually ends up in the warm hide within the first 12 hours. I figure as long as I provide it, they'll figure it out.

Old 10-10-2016, 01:06 PM   #8
violetdraca
Quote:
Originally Posted by sockSnek View Post
Mine started doing that too a little while back. I found her this morning in the exact same position as yours in that picture.

She also seems to swing between favorite spots every once in a while. Lately her favorite thing to do has been to stretch out aaaallll the way along the long edge of the tank under the substrate. I seriously thought she escaped because I couldn't find her.
She has done that a couple times too, the first time I panicked a bit cuz I also thought she escaped somehow haha

Old 10-28-2016, 10:08 AM   #9
blueyedmama
Mine is semi wacko. Super curious and explorative. Hides mostly, except when I'm spritzing the pythons. And will crawl out onto my hand if I open the cage.

Sent from my C6743 using Tapatalk

Old 11-04-2016, 01:45 PM   #10
Highball
Snakes that stay out all the time are the best! If she doesn't hide, she's not stressed.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google