CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Juvenile possible broken ribs-What do i do?

Old 01-21-2018, 12:51 PM   #1
GoldenGoat
Juvenile possible broken ribs-What do i do?

This is my first post here so bear with me please!
I picked up a baby corn snakes (about 6 weeks) back in November from a breeder. He's doing great, shedding, eating, drinking, pooping and active both in his enclosure and when i handle him. He was dropped once (a horrible mistake on my end) from about 3 feet up, but seemed fine and i didn't notice any bruising or swelling within a few days of that happening.
Howevever about a month ago i noticed on his side two indents that looks like loose sort of flattened parts of his body. He also stopped climbing a tree that i'd put into his cage that he used to love. He moves around fine when im holding him and when i gently touch the areas he doesn't freak out or get agitated. Local pet store suggested feeding him more, he was on pinkies every 5-6 days, im now giving him a cut up fuzzy every 5 days (which as often as he'll take them).
Some people have hypothesized broken ribs, some others kinks (though those usually are outwards extensions as far as i understand, which aren't what he has). Any thoughts or confirmations on what this might be?
I'm hesitant to bring him to a vet both because vets can't do anything for broken ribs (they heal on their own) as well as the crazy prices for exotic pet vets, however if you guys really think i should get him checked out i will.

Thank you all so much, hopes and prayers for my baby Noodle

https://imgur.com/a/xOEhi

Old 01-21-2018, 01:39 PM   #2
Twolunger
Don't beat yourself up for accidentally dropping your little guy. I've done that myself while cleaning their container and not being quick enough when they went over the side. A spinal kink is obvious when you run the snake through your fingers. What you describe does sound like broken ribs. I would keep him on pinkies and additional feeding won't help broken ribs heal any faster. You could dust the pinkies with calcium powder. Good luck.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:02 PM   #3
Nanci
I'd have a vet check him out. Probably not much you can do, though. But just to make sure it isn't anything worse. He's breathing okay? (My vet charges $60 for an office visit, for any species. The vet might, probably would, want an x-ray, but you could ask what would be learned from an xray that couldn't be learned from physical exam, and what the differential diagnoses are, and how would knowing what that was affect the treatment...) I think I would just want to know.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google