CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Eating but not striking

Old 01-23-2018, 12:01 PM   #1
Reggie Wriggle
Eating but not striking

Reggie has stopped striking for his/her mouse. When I leave the mouse in the feeding box it gets swallowed. Any idea what could have caused this change in behavior?

Not worried since Reggie's still eating, wriggling, hiding and doing all the normal Reggie things.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:09 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
he's probably figured out the mouse is already dead, so why bother striking.

Is the Mouse warmed to the correct temperature? A live mouse has body heat, and a cold mouse would not. Make sure it's still warm when you offer it to the snake. Are you wiggling the mouse making it look alive?

If I just lay a mouse in front of Rufus, he will just swallow it with no strike. But if I wiggle it and make him chase it around the box, he will strike at it, probably thinking it's alive.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:27 PM   #3
Reggie Wriggle
I'll try warning the mouse up prior to wriggling it about and hopefully Reggie will start striking again

Old 01-23-2018, 10:04 PM   #4
Twolunger
Reggie is a smart corn snake. He figured out he doesn't have to exert much energy chasing prey, as it will be provided anyway. I feed every one of my corns using tongs, not so much to see them strike, as to make sure they all eat. Most of mine do strike, but I have 2 female coral ghosts that never strike. I feed them last because they take so long to finally grab the mice.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:43 PM   #5
Kayota
I wouldn't worry about it. Most of my snakes eat without bothering to strike or constrict from time to time. As long as they eat that's all I really care about.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google