CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Corn Snake is hiding a lot (Long post)

Old 12-13-2016, 10:41 AM   #1
smale492
Corn Snake is hiding a lot (Long post)

So my baby corn snake normally comes out to roam alot and has been feeding well (up untill about a week ago since he is constantly hiding). It has started to get colder here in wisconsin and I have been making sure that the heat mats are keeping both sides within the acceptable range of heat. After his last shed and feeding which is approaching 2 weeks now he has not eaten and I have only seen him out like 2 times crawling around ( came to the point where I thought maybe he escaped.)
I Know he has trouble getting shed off his tail so I have had to help him last 2 times and I couldnt tell if there was some stuck on his head (was gonna check again but he has yet to come out). I don't know why he is so reluctant to come out (could he be thinking its time to hibernate?
I know both heat pads are putting out the heat and that our house temp is in the upper 60's. Or maybe he is just not feeling like coming out? His tank is near a window so maybe its a little too cool there and maybe I should bump up heat pads a little more? I know humidty is on the lower side due to how dry and cold it is here could that be a factor?

Also Should I try and dig him out to feed him or give him more time? Any answers would be great thanks!

Old 12-15-2016, 06:57 AM   #2
Dragonling
Do you have thermometers in the cage or a temp gun? It's important to know the temperature inside on both ends. As long as he has a normal 75-85F gradient you should be fine to continue feeding as normal, and I don't think digging him out to check for stuck shed is a bad idea. It's possible the window could be making it too cool, but it could just be that he's preparing for brumation because of the shortened daylight hours. One of my males is being extra reclusive, and being the closest to a window, I imagine it could be for the same reason.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:35 AM   #3
smale492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
Do you have thermometers in the cage or a temp gun? It's important to know the temperature inside on both ends. As long as he has a normal 75-85F gradient you should be fine to continue feeding as normal, and I don't think digging him out to check for stuck shed is a bad idea. It's possible the window could be making it too cool, but it could just be that he's preparing for brumation because of the shortened daylight hours. One of my males is being extra reclusive, and being the closest to a window, I imagine it could be for the same reason.
I have thermometer probes setup a little bit above each heatpad under the substrate, and they are both reading temps between 84-85 on the hot side and 74-75 on the cool side. Like you said maybe the air temp is just a little cool? Might go get a cheap thermometer to place on tank to check jut incase. And Brumation? I am unaware of what this is (haha sorry still kinda new getting back into this I will look it up) Im just worried he hasn't shown him self since he is still on the young side being born in july so he is only about 4 months old.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:40 AM   #4
smale492
Quote:
Originally Posted by smale492 View Post
I have thermometer probes setup a little bit above each heatpad under the substrate, and they are both reading temps between 84-85 on the hot side and 74-75 on the cool side. Like you said maybe the air temp is just a little cool? Might go get a cheap thermometer to place on tank to check jut incase. And Brumation? I am unaware of what this is (haha sorry still kinda new getting back into this I will look it up) Im just worried he hasn't shown him self since he is still on the young side being born in july so he is only about 4 months old.
Ok read that its pretty much a type of hibernation ( This kinda shocks me since both heat pads are still putting out decent heat maybe it is the air temp? because its near the window? Idk what to do should I try an look for him atleast?

Old 12-19-2016, 09:50 AM   #5
Scrappyeddie77
Ok just my opinion so don't bite my head off.
Most of the snakes in captivity are born in captivity and their parents and so on for at least a generation or two at some point a lot of their natural instincts are faded. So if you think that your snake is about to go into hibernation or whatever you want to call it and the temps are good the light might have something to do with it put a timer on a light and your done. And to help with your humidity issue try adding another water bowl and a towel over the tank. Winter is usually dryer even in Florida. And I got a corn for my little girl at a show in Orlando just because the kid that had him didn't take care of a bad shed. His tale is short now. He did get a cool name from it ( Captain nubula ) funny thing is my little girl was like ten and she doesn't live with me but I told her how to take care of it and why it does it and now he sheds fine.
And now the whole hiding thing they are nocturnal and you might not see them out much during the day. I feed my babies at dark and I don't feed in their vivs I have little Rubbermaid boxes for them I put the snake in and now I think they have learned that when I put them in the box food is coming and they don't even try to crawl out now.
I hope some of this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-19-2016, 11:28 AM   #6
Dragonling
Only one of my corns is by a window and even though his temperatures haven't changed, I've noticed he is far more reclusive now that the daylight hours have changed. He still eats without a fuss though, but I feed in-cage since I don't have that many extra tubs right now.

Technically corns are crepuscular rather than nocturnal.

Old 12-19-2016, 02:59 PM   #7
smale492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappyeddie77 View Post
Ok just my opinion so don't bite my head off.
Most of the snakes in captivity are born in captivity and their parents and so on for at least a generation or two at some point a lot of their natural instincts are faded. So if you think that your snake is about to go into hibernation or whatever you want to call it and the temps are good the light might have something to do with it put a timer on a light and your done. And to help with your humidity issue try adding another water bowl and a towel over the tank. Winter is usually dryer even in Florida. And I got a corn for my little girl at a show in Orlando just because the kid that had him didn't take care of a bad shed. His tale is short now. He did get a cool name from it ( Captain nubula ) funny thing is my little girl was like ten and she doesn't live with me but I told her how to take care of it and why it does it and now he sheds fine.
And now the whole hiding thing they are nocturnal and you might not see them out much during the day. I feed my babies at dark and I don't feed in their vivs I have little Rubbermaid boxes for them I put the snake in and now I think they have learned that when I put them in the box food is coming and they don't even try to crawl out now.
I hope some of this helps.

Luckily he has been coming out a bit more with temps ok. I fed him and he was out a few times after but now he is back to hiding. May just be more in a hiding mood with the change in daylight and temps.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:02 PM   #8
smale492
Quote:
Only one of my corns is by a window and even though his temperatures haven't changed, I've noticed he is far more reclusive now that the daylight hours have changed. He still eats without a fuss though, but I feed in-cage since I don't have that many extra tubs right now.

Luckily I just fed him last Thursday and hopefully he will be out tomorrow to feed again. I saw him a few times in the days after feeding so hopefully it was just him being shyer due to day light change and maybe some temp change.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:20 PM   #9
smale492
Quote:

You would say it is normal though that he is much more reclusive since the daylight is much less. Like I barely see him out even at night. He did eat last thursday but he hasnt been out to eat today or last few days in general

Old 12-20-2016, 11:04 PM   #10
Scrappyeddie77
I have only three and I have noticed that my male is always out usually behind his water bowl
And one of my females is under the substrate and the other is hit or miss where she is.
They all have their own personality.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google