CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

What kinds of snakes eat rabbits?

Old 11-27-2010, 04:35 PM   #1
carnivorouszoo
What kinds of snakes eat rabbits?

I raise rabbits for meat and some times we have stillborns, or lose some during weaning time. It's normal and is rarely related to an illness, more like for some reason the kit's gut flora couldn't adjust right to solids and they fail to thrive.

I hate to waste anything and so was wondering if you fine folks could tell me of a kind of snake that would not get ginormous that could eat newborn to 4 week old rabbits. I could almost guarantee they would never be much over 1 lb each. To be honest I have seen rats bigger than these rabbit babies in pet shops. Called XL or Jumbo rats I think.

Thanks!

Old 11-27-2010, 04:37 PM   #2
Nitelion94
BIG ONES lol yea no joke ones big enough 2 eat it

Old 11-27-2010, 04:43 PM   #3
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorouszoo View Post
I raise rabbits for meat and some times we have stillborns, or lose some during weaning time. It's normal and is rarely related to an illness, more like for some reason the kit's gut flora couldn't adjust right to solids and they fail to thrive.

I hate to waste anything and so was wondering if you fine folks could tell me of a kind of snake that would not get ginormous that could eat newborn to 4 week old rabbits. I could almost guarantee they would never be much over 1 lb each. To be honest I have seen rats bigger than these rabbit babies in pet shops. Called XL or Jumbo rats I think.

Thanks!
Are you more interested in colubrids or boids?

Old 11-27-2010, 04:43 PM   #4
ShenziSixaxis
Pretty big item... hmm, maybe you should get a boa? Or a Carpet python? Boas are big, and carpet pythons are known for being able to eat HUUUGE items.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:08 PM   #5
snakewispera snr
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenziSixaxis View Post
Pretty big item... hmm, maybe you should get a boa? Or a Carpet python? Boas are big, and carpet pythons are known for being able to eat HUUUGE items.
/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\
THIS
You need a Carpet python.
Lots of really cool one's out there for you to choose from.....
And addictive..
You really should do it..
You will not regret it.
Honest.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:48 PM   #6
Jenber
I would say something in a smaller boa, they can eat rather large meals but don't get incredibly huge in the long run like a python or some boas can. Maybe a Hogg Island Boa or a Central American??

Old 11-27-2010, 04:58 PM   #7
carnivorouszoo
Hmm, I'm not really sure what I am interested in actually. I know I want a BP one day but am not sure they could handle anything past a stillborn. Don't really want a Boa they get really big and like I said I want to try to stay around 6 feet max on length of snake. Saw a Diamond Python (might have been boa, not sure lol) on iherp but looked them up and they can get 13 feet. I will look up carpet pythons, I have seen some needing a new home from time to time.

Thanks

Old 11-27-2010, 05:03 PM   #8
starsevol
My personal choice if it were me would be a large colorful colubrid, maybe a chain king. Something with personality. I am not a huge boid person, but they are excellent pets. Maybe a carpet python, or maybe consider a Woma, I don't think they get too big.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:08 PM   #9
carnivorouszoo
Hey Mike, are you saying that because you might know where I can get one? I did some reading and actually think I DO want a carpet. They look so neat! Anyone know some websites of folks that raise them for me to research which morph I want? Recommendations on good reliable breeders?

Old 11-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #10
snakewispera snr
You got some good guys on your side of the pond...
Nick Mutton is 'helpful'
Yasser at spitfire reptiles....
Lots..
Try
moreliapythons.com
Have a good look at what's available before jumping in...
You really won't be sorry..
BTW.. Carpets are relatively new... So morphs are still being worked out....