CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

What 3rd party photo hosting do you use?

Old 07-17-2017, 09:24 PM   #1
NinnJinn
What 3rd party photo hosting do you use?

I have used Photobucket for YEARS!!! Just went to post some pic on the forum here, and they want $400 for a one year subscription!!!!!!!!!!! WTH???

Old 07-17-2017, 09:55 PM   #2
Tavia
Weird!!
I've used Photobucket for years too, about three years ago I had to buy a plan for more bandwidth and I pay $29.99 a year for it. Since I post a ton of pictures and they are both direct and indirect advertising, I don't mind and just put it under the advertising budget for our business.

Sounds like they've really been squeezing a bunch of their users lately though. Knock on wood, I haven't had any trouble with them yet.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:16 PM   #3
Karl_Mcknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinnJinn View Post
I have used Photobucket for YEARS!!! Just went to post some pic on the forum here, and they want $400 for a one year subscription!!!!!!!!!!! WTH???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavia View Post
Weird!!
I've used Photobucket for years too, about three years ago I had to buy a plan for more bandwidth and I pay $29.99 a year for it. Since I post a ton of pictures and they are both direct and indirect advertising, I don't mind and just put it under the advertising budget for our business.

Sounds like they've really been squeezing a bunch of their users lately though. Knock on wood, I haven't had any trouble with them yet.
Yeah, the internet ain't free despite what some people think or expect.

I don't really fool with picture hosting that much. I have a ton of photos on my computer, my facebook page and instagram. The forum here allows you to post pictures of your snakes right here on their server and really don't charge a thing, but many of us, myself included pay a yearly membership fee just to help him out a bit.

There are lots of sites that will host your photos for free. The problem arises when you start linking them and making them clickable on other websites, generating traffic and bandwidth, and then they want money from you.

As a musician I face the same problem with music hosting sites. I have my music scattered out all over the internet on several different sites trying to escape the fees. (Some sites will let me post so many mb for free, and if I exceed they want to charge.) I recently bit the bullet and payed a 119.00 yearly fee, meaning I will have to pay it again next year, and the next and the next and the......

You gotta pay Da Man at some point. If picture hosting is important to you at some point you'll have to take out your wallet.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:22 AM   #4
NinnJinn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
Yeah, the internet ain't free despite what some people think or expect.

You gotta pay Da Man at some point. If picture hosting is important to you at some point you'll have to take out your wallet.
I understand where you are coming from... I was just shocked that I would have to pay $400/year just to post maybe 12 pics to random forums a year.

Too bad they do not have a lower tier for the light users such as myself.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:15 AM   #5
Karl_Mcknight
I do not endorse this site or use it:

https://www.smugmug.com/plans/basic

"The ad claims Photo Hosting Basic Package" for just $3.99 a month. (They have other more advanced packages as well which cost more of course, but nothing comes close to the 400.00 that the OP claims photobucket wants).

Old 07-18-2017, 10:40 AM   #6
Dragonling
Imgur. I honestly don't understand how anyone uses anything else for general hosting. Everything else is garbage in my mind.

For high quality photos, Flickr, though I believe there are a few more decent sites for photography in general.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:49 PM   #7
DollysMom
I've been using Imgur as well. I don't mind paying reasonable fees. Of course "reasonable" is pretty subjective. Photobucket gave users a take it or leave it proposition with nothing in between for light or moderate use. Many are leaving. Evidently Photibucket is getting enough sign ups for now.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/16...cket-fee-hike/

Old 07-18-2017, 01:06 PM   #8
Rich Z
As I have mentioned elsewhere, the photo gallery over on FaunaClassifieds.com (http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/photopost/) allows members to use external links to the photos posted there. This is a free service I offer, and unless things really get out of hand there, it will remain so.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google