CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Feeding issues with 9 year old corn

Old 08-01-2017, 05:33 PM   #1
beyourownspotlight
Feeding issues with 9 year old corn

Hey guys,

So I had my Alfie out tonight, and I noticed the past couple of times he'd been out that he hadn't seemed as happy to be handled as he normally is, he was wriggly and just wanted down to crawl and hide. Normally he loves exploring the whole room, then coming to sit by my leg. Or he's just chill while sitting around my neck.
Tbh I didn't think too much of it and I probably should have. Until tonight when I found what looked like a pile of regurgitated/vomited mouse. I'm not sure which it was. It was in three parts, a part that looked somewhat like part of the head/face, a long stringy bit, and a bit that looked like fur. I didn't take a picture when in hindsight i realise I should have. I just panicked and put Alfie back in his viv then shouted on my partner to come look before I cleaned it up.

He was 427g when I last weighed him and on Jumbo mice. He's had 2 successful feeds with me. (Had him about 6-7 weeks now I think). He went for about a month without eating, so I'm not sure if it's just a case of too many meals that are too large too soon together? I feed him on day one (say Monday) then i wait 48 hours to handle, and start counting 7/8 days from there to make his meals 9/10 days apart. The first meal went fine and he pooped twice that week. Once 3 days after eating then again on the fifth after eating. Then i've had no poop. Until i found whatever that was. His hot side is around 28 degrees. His viv is just short of 4ft so it's large enough there's a temp gradient. He has so many hides it can be difficult to find him if he doesnt want to be found. Access to fresh water at all times (changed every day or second day). And he's kept in the living room but i work 13 hour shifts 4 days a week so its not a high traffic loud place even when i am home its my partner and i watching tv. Nothing drastic. I'm a wee bit worried about the little dude. He didnt have a noticeable knot or lump indicating he hadnt finished digesting when i held him. And i waited the 48 hours. Temps are fine. Humidity is fine. The only thing i can think of doing is waiting the 10 days with no meals no handling and let him settle, and drop him down to large or maybe even medium mice (i have some medium in the freezer for my royal python). Anyone else suggest anything else i havent thought of?

Old 08-01-2017, 07:50 PM   #2
DollysMom
If you think he regurged then not handling, not feeding for 10 days and then feeding smaller meals is basically the thing to do. You can find Kathy Love's regurge protocol here:

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28342

Your warm side temp should be perfect if it is the actual tempertature inside his warm hide.

Since this snake is new to you, you might consider consulting a vet. It's hard to do a fecal without poop, but a vet may have other ways to evaluate for parasites or other problems. Regurges and/or strange poop definitely are vet worthy events.

I'm so sorry Alfie is not doing well. Best wishes and I hope he's back to normal soon.

P.S. edit to add: I just realize you said Jumbo mice. Personally I would feed a snake that size no more than 25 grams a feeding and those feedings would start 10 days apart. I'd see if that held his weight and carefully adjust accordingly. He may not have been able to fully digest a Jumbo mouse in 48 hours and regurged accordingly when handled.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:45 AM   #3
beyourownspotlight
When we got him he was 438g. But he lost that little bit of weight. Really i cant think of anything else other than his food being too big. I really hope that's all it is. I'm going back to where i got him from today to ask if he has any history of regurgitating and to grab some smaller mice. Its a bit upsetting i love animals and i love wee Alfie already so much, I just want him to be a healthy happy noodle. And i would hate to think its something i'm doing causing him distress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
If you think he regurged then not handling, not feeding for 10 days and then feeding smaller meals is basically the thing to do. You can find Kathy Love's regurge protocol here:

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28342

Your warm side temp should be perfect if it is the actual tempertature inside his warm hide.

Since this snake is new to you, you might consider consulting a vet. It's hard to do a fecal without poop, but a vet may have other ways to evaluate for parasites or other problems. Regurges and/or strange poop definitely are vet worthy events.

I'm so sorry Alfie is not doing well. Best wishes and I hope he's back to normal soon.

P.S. edit to add: I just realize you said Jumbo mice. Personally I would feed a snake that size no more than 25 grams a feeding and those feedings would start 10 days apart. I'd see if that held his weight and carefully adjust accordingly. He may not have been able to fully digest a Jumbo mouse in 48 hours and regurged accordingly when handled.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:12 AM   #4
DollysMom
Be sure to follow the Love protocol and you should be okay. If in doubt go to a vet. One thing I recommend is to base the sizes she recommends on what you should have been feeding and not on what you were feeding.

The good news is that we all make mistakes when we are learning. As long as you follow the Love protocol and seek vet care when needed the odds are well in your and Alfie's favor.

Best wishes!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google