CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Daytona breeders expo

Old 08-03-2017, 10:15 AM   #1
Scrappyeddie77
Daytona breeders expo

Is there anyone else that is going to the expo in Daytona August 18-20th?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-03-2017, 11:54 AM   #2
crackerhead
Yep! I'll be helping out at Travis Whisler Reptiles. Stop by and say "Hi" to the gang (Travis, John, Jeremy, Jud, Joe and Don). A great group of guys to spend time with and amazing animals too! It doesn't get much better than that.

Terri

Old 08-03-2017, 01:27 PM   #3
Dragonling
I regret not approaching you at Tinley last fall, Terri. I didn't really know you outside of this forum, so I got all shy and just chatted with Don since we had talked a lot previously. Every time I considered it, you appeared to be in conversation with someone else.

I wish I could attend Daytona. It's too expensive to just go hang out. If I were looking to buy stuff or vend I'd be there.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:35 PM   #4
crackerhead
There is always Tinley this year....

Terri

Old 08-03-2017, 08:16 PM   #5
Dragonling
I'm planning to attend. If I never get around to shipping this pair of adults to Don I can always bring them to him LOL.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:52 PM   #6
Hawser
I am planning on going. I have never been to the Daytona expo, or any show of that magnitude. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but from my understanding the number of vendors with corn snakes has greatly diminished. From what I have heard it is starting to become wall to wall displays of ball pythons and bearded dragons with a handful of boas, gekcos, and turtles/tortoises. And when it comes to colubrids, the hognose seems to the chosen breed. Please don't get me wrong, by no means is this fact, I can only go by what I have been told by someone who has gone the last 4 years. I will still be going, as corn snakes are not my only interest. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on whether this is true or just someone's opinion.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:12 PM   #7
crackerhead
I think the large venues have a hard time attracting any vendor who needs to sell many modestly priced animals just to break even. Ball Python breeders can sell a single animal and cover their entire trip, (table $300, electricity $80, Hotel $120/night, food $75/day, airfare $350, and the cost of getting your display and animals to the show and back home again $$$, not to mention 3 or 4 long days spent working for what amounts to peanuts.I'm not even going to get into how long it takes to prepare and then restock once you get back home.) If the average corn snake sells for $40 to $100, a breeder needs to sell a lot of animals before they even begin to see a profit. It helps if the vendor lives close to the show but it is still a big expense that is tough to recoup. Most people go to Daytona, Arlington and Tinley to "look" at animals, meet up with online friends and chat with the big name breeders. If you were to ask some one like Walter Smith who used to do Daytona every year and has a great selection of animals for sale why they no longer vend, I'd bet they would agree that it just doesn't make fiscal sense.

Terri

Old 08-07-2017, 08:37 PM   #8
Rich Z
We used to do a lot of shows at one time, but eventually I had to take a look at the bottom line and I determined that if instead of doing any one of most of the shows we did, we just stayed home and ran a "50% OFF" sale, we would usually come out ahead. And without the hassles of doing the show, and without having to stretch out the feeding schedules of all those newly hatched babies. Quite honestly, I think most people who have a decent online presence these days have probably come to the same conclusion.

I once got into an argument with someone who felt that I should do all the shows I could, just for the opportunity to meet up with people and talk with them. Yeah, that's all well and good if I were only paying the walk-in ticket fee, but how many people would be willing to do that if the entrance fee for being a vendor was more like $1,000+?

Haven't been to Daytona for a few years now, and not sure Connie and I will make it this year neither. Quite honestly, the description of Daytona being wall to wall ball pythons has been pretty accurate. And not being an aficionado of the species, quite a few of them looked pretty much identical, regardless of the price tags and labels on them. So I got burned out pretty quickly just looking at them. And there is the solar eclipse taking place on 08-21 that we are toying with the idea of running up to South Carolina to experience first hand. Daytona comes around each year, but solar eclipses, not so often.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:46 PM   #9
Nanci
I'm going! And leaving Sunday to go to Charleston to see the eclipse.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:15 PM   #10
Rich Z
BTW, I checked motels and hotels around Santee, SC, and they are ALL sold out.

Of course, I also checked the long range weather forecast and they are calling for afternoon thunderstorms. But that is the every day forecast in the southeast this time of year. But there is likely a real good chance that I won't even be able to see the sun through the clouds, so I'm not sure I am going to risk a wasted trip.

You know, I remember experiencing at least as partial solar eclipse when I was much younger, but I didn't know anything about it at the time. All I knew that it got much darker outside and yet it wasn't cloudy. Can't recall actually looking up at the sun, but it seems to me that the sun was much more yellow and not nearly as bright as it is now.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google