CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Snake afraid of f/t mouse

Old 08-11-2017, 07:56 PM   #11
Karl_Mcknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
Karl sometimes they do develop aversions though I definitely agree it's not likely in this case. But quail can get them started again. A vet visit is definitely a first order of business.
My Eugene refuses any and all mice in my care (he ate mice for his previous owner) but will eat quail and rats. And my snake Ratbait had a rodent aversion from years of being feed live rats while blind. If he smelled them he would jerk and flee. But he would take quail and time, scenting, and patience got him on f/t rats after 18 months.
nobody mentioned "aversion."

I have an aversion to Liver, but I'm not afraid of it.

The original post stated their corn snake was afraid of mice. That's just silly. Especially since the snake has eaten before.

Take the entire post, the fact the snake won't eat, noticeable loss of weight. This is not a fear of mice, there is something wrong. I simply stated take the snake to a vet. That's what I would do.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:05 PM   #12
Shiari
Ratbait, when fully healed, did not eat for 9 (the point where I first offered quail) months. He had an aversion... a fear response to the scent of rodent. He got bit in the face and was covered in scars. He lost weight. Not tons, but about 200 grams off of a 1300 gram snake.

I also said that this was not likely the case for the OPs snake, just that it is something that can occur. I also told the OP to take the snake to a vet. I was just bringing up some additional information. Many animals can develop an aversion to certain foods if they feel ill after eating it. My last dog was all "oo, what's that?" and licked wasabi. After that, if I brought sushi home with wasabi paste, he'd start drooling and run. Having had the experience of consuming rotten coconut milk, coconut now makes me feel nauseous. Studies have been done on rats showing they develop such aversions as well. And it's a real issue when treating ill cats because they form food aversions super easily.

While this is a snake and not as complicated mentally, they are capable of learning and forming associations. If something is wrong with the snake (very possible, very likely in fact) and it ate a rodent and then felt particularly sick, it might no longer want mice. Normally a snake that just doesn't want to eat doesn't dart away from a f/t mouse. They just ignore it. So something unusual is going on with this snake, which is why a vet visit is of prime importance. But novel foods might also tempt it eat, hence recommending quail as well.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:25 AM   #13
StayWithMeArienette
UPDATE: I dropped Max off at the vet this morning. He had an incomplete shed last night. We'll see how the exam goes.

I'm sorry for being "silly". This is just the first time he's done something like this and I didn't know how else to describe the reaction. I'll update my vocabulary in case it happens again with him or the other snake.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:27 PM   #14
Reptile Lover 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayWithMeArienette View Post
UPDATE: I dropped Max off at the vet this morning. He had an incomplete shed last night. We'll see how the exam goes.

I'm sorry for being "silly". This is just the first time he's done something like this and I didn't know how else to describe the reaction. I'll update my vocabulary in case it happens again with him or the other snake.
You should'nt feel the need to apologies for your vocabulary it isnt your fault someone didnt understand what you ment, they should of asked you to be more specific if they didnt understand, instead of coming to an assumption

Old 08-14-2017, 06:57 PM   #15
StayWithMeArienette
Max pooped at the vet so they tested it and everything came back fine. It just might be a husbandry issue that didn't affect him until now. So I bought a infrared thermometer and will make sure his high temps are where they should be.

Question though: I've been so confused by info on here. Should it be 85 on the top of the substrate or 85 on the glass? My snakes like to burrow to the glass so I'm afraid of burning them on accident.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:45 PM   #16
Reptile Lover 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayWithMeArienette View Post
Max pooped at the vet so they tested it and everything came back fine. It just might be a husbandry issue that didn't affect him until now. So I bought a infrared thermometer and will make sure his high temps are where they should be.

Question though: I've been so confused by info on here. Should it be 85 on the top of the substrate or 85 on the glass? My snakes like to burrow to the glass so I'm afraid of burning them on accident.
I have mine kept at 86F with the thermostat's temprature sensor right on top of the heat matt and substrate on top..

So if your heat matt is under the glass then your thermostats temp sensor should be directly on-top of the glass with the substrate ontop, your temps can be anywere between 85f-88f

Old 08-19-2017, 08:42 PM   #17
StayWithMeArienette
UPDATE:

Max didn't have any parasites. He got two rounds of injections and has one more scheduled on Monday. But today, he took the quail chick!! He licked it a couple times, I wiggles it, and he struck!! I can't even explain how happy I am.

I'm going to keep giving him the quail chicks for a while. I have 24 left. Does anyone have any suggestions for when I should reintroduce mice?

Old 08-20-2017, 01:40 AM   #18
Shiari
Have a bag where you store some of the mice and quail together, so they'll get the scent of the other on them. Maybe 5 and 5? After he's eaten 3 or 4 times consistently, offer one of the quail stored with the mice. If he's willing to eat several of those without issue, try offering a quail scented mouse.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google