CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Would you ever keep venomous snakes?

Old 03-01-2007, 09:10 AM   #11
ratsncorns
They just dont interest me at all. I think its neat that others have them, more power to ya But, just seems to risky to me.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:00 AM   #12
Tyger9791
No I would not keep them in my own home. I am fascinated by them, but it's too risky and difficult to keep them. And with us fostering puppies, I would be afraid they would get hurt. Puppies are like children in that they can get into anything and they are very curious. Despite my best efforts, I've had the snakes escape their enclosures due to my own forgetfulness or the puppies distracting me and I failed to secure their enclosure correctly. An escaped corn snake is one thing, an escaped rattler or cobra is a much bigger problem that I would not want to risk.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:56 AM   #13
ladydragon
nope wouldn't keep one, or even entertain the idea of getting one. heck.. I'm not even interested in getting a non-venemous that could grow bigger than me!! I do appreciate their uniqueness and beauty, but I can turn on the tv or read a book on them. thats close enough for me.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:14 AM   #14
Nanci
I am pretty fascinated with Coral snakes. If I was going to have a venomous snake, that is what I would want.

But when you can see so many kinds in the wild where I live, so frequently- rattlesnakes, copperheads, cottonmouths, and the coral- you don't really need to keep them.

Nanci

Old 03-01-2007, 11:17 AM   #15
snakemom1961
Nope. I've never had any inclination to possess a venomous snake. Some of them truly are beautiful but I would never be comfortable having one in my home.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:12 PM   #16
Tula_Montage
I adore all the asian hots... especially green arboreals Although I don't own anything that could kill anyone I have a western hoggie... oh and meet sweetpea - Philodryas Baroni. Shes the sweetest little girl ever

Shes rear fanged, and mildly potent. This is an abstract from "Venomous reptiles of the western hemisphere" (Campbell & Lamar, 2004):

" In Argentina, a specimen 90cm in TL, bit a 22-year-old male herpetologist on the thumb but withdrew immediately. There was immediate slight burning pain with minimal local bleeding. Swelling was evident after five minutes ; after one hour the whole hand was swollen and there were petechial hemorrhages in the skin. Swelling progressed to mid-forearm level, and there were ecchymoses along the line of lymphatics up to the axilla. Recovery was complete within 48 hours (Kuch and Jesberger, 1993)."

Old 03-01-2007, 01:16 PM   #17
plasticknives
I would never keep hot snakes.

I'm all for keeping them for study, as venom can be very useful, but just for interests sake? In my opinion its much too risky- and not just for the keeper, but for the people around them.

I think that unless you

-are FULLY trained
-have the right resources available, and the right facilities
-live very far away from other people, (not in a close set neighborhood),
-do not have any dependents or other people living with you that do know know how to deal with hot snakes
-are a very very, responsible, mature individual

you should not own hot snakes. Rear fanged....maybe, but truly poisonous?
Just too dangerous, IMHO.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:21 PM   #18
desertanimal
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticknives
I would never keep hot snakes.

I'm all for keeping them for study, as venom can be very useful, but just for interests sake? In my opinion its much too risky- and not just for the keeper, but for the people around them.

I think that unless you

-are FULLY trained
-have the right resources available, and the right facilities
-live very far away from other people, (not in a close set neighborhood),
-do not have any dependents or other people living with you that do know know how to deal with hot snakes
-are a very very, responsible, mature individual
I think most of these things should go for people who get to drive cars, as well!

Old 03-01-2007, 01:26 PM   #19
lefty_mussolini
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticknives
...but truly poisonous? Just too dangerous, IMHO.
It seems that truly poisonous snakes wouldn't be much of a risk at all, as long as you didn't eat them.
But what about truly venomous snakes?

Now, don't get all huffy everyone. It was just a joke.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:28 PM   #20
lefty_mussolini
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertanimal
I think most of these things should go for people who get to drive cars, as well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by the man
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to desertanimal again.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google