• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Whats the earliest/smallest a female will breed?

heatwave

Certified Herp-a-holic
I just picked up two small girls (both between 200-275 grams) from someone keeping them in a tank with a big male. They are both reportedly 4 years old. I also got a 2-3 year old from him that is less then 200 grams. Obviously they are not large enough where they SHOULD have been bred, but are they large enough to where they COULD have been bred? If so, what can I expect? Can I do anything to help them?

Definitely big enough for an oops breeding. All you can do for now is keep an eye out for egg bumps...

The general rule of thumb is 3yrs old/300grams/3ft long
Breeding them below size, even if they are perfectly healthy, can prose problems such as egg binding, or cause too much strain on the female.

My first year in Corns, I took in a young female that was way too little to breed, but she had been bred. I didn't know until I started seeing signs that she was about to lay eggs. One baby survived, only to die later, & the female never recovered fully from laying eggs & ended up dying later.

Do you really want to take that chance?

The general rule of thumb is 3yrs old/300grams/3ft long
Breeding them below size, even if they are perfectly healthy, can prose problems such as egg binding, or cause too much strain on the female.

My first year in Corns, I took in a young female that was way too little to breed, but she had been bred. I didn't know until I started seeing signs that she was about to lay eggs. One baby survived, only to die later, & the female never recovered fully from laying eggs & ended up dying later.

Do you really want to take that chance?

I think you misread my post. I didn't breed them and I don't want to breed them. I rescue them from someone keeping them all together in one tank, and I'm concerned they've been bred.

I think you misread my post. I didn't breed them and I don't want to breed them. I rescue them from someone keeping them all together in one tank, and I'm concerned they've been bred.

You're right, I did.
I missed the part about the male being in the tank.

I received an 80 gram yearling female who had been cohabbed (unknown to me). She laid a clutch of four huge eggs, two of which hatched. One was deformed and I euthed it, the other never fed. The female came through just fine.

I bought a female normal from an expo and the seller had told me she was bred and had layed a few weeks prior to getting her, she was VERY thin and only weighed about 150 grams (at 3 years old) when i got her... SMH.. shes perfectly fine and now up to proper size.

I received an 80 gram yearling female who had been cohabbed (unknown to me). She laid a clutch of four huge eggs, two of which hatched. One was deformed and I euthed it, the other never fed. The female came through just fine.

Holy smokes!!!! 80 grams? Poor baby :(

Actually, I guess she laid five eggs, and the clutch itself weighed 20 grams. Here she is having her post-lay snack.

Attachments

• Scarlett Post-Lay Meal 002cr.jpg
    Scarlett Post-Lay Meal 002cr.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 68
Back