CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

new snake feeding questions??

Old 10-29-2015, 06:02 PM   #21
DollysMom
I too have had a little bit of a picky eater in miss Cleo. I also had one who was Mr. Eveready who never saw a mouse he didn't immediately eat!

They sure do eat on their terms, not ours! I'm sure that as she settles in to her new home, its sights, sounds, smells, and even your mouse source, she will eat more readily. Striking is always a good sign to me as is hunting behavior just after dark.

I've been there in finding the mouse gone and a lump in the snake . I smile just to think of that moment. Congrats!

Old 10-30-2015, 01:33 AM   #22
Zimmer
According to the breeder I got her from, she was a non-feeder shipped to him in a group of non-feeders from a breeder in Texas. She had a hard time getting the hang of it, apparently. He got her eating lizard scented pinkies, and eventually switched to regular f/t. I guess even her babies were mostly non-feeders as well. Is that genetic? I was secretly playing with the idea of baby snakes in a year or 2, but not if that's something to worry about.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:59 PM   #23
C3P0
We feed outside always. We wait a while before returning him to tank. We tried to feed inside the first time after getting him and when our son tried to take him out to hold him he snapped, however since feeding him outside the tank we have not had a problem. Although it is a personal decision. Good luck.

Old 11-08-2015, 03:41 PM   #24
Zimmer
Another successful feeding! Had to leave it overnight in her tank with her, but just like last time it was gone in the morning and she was stuffed

So far, I haven't seen any tank/hand aggression or snappiness, but we haven't had her long! I think feeding her in the tank is for the best, at least right now, because it sounds like that's what she's been used to for most of her life.

The biggest thing I worry about is impaction from her ingesting substrate but... Not really sure how to avoid that. Besides, if she can digest bones, fur, and gristle, can't she digest a few aspen shavings? The mouse is dry when I feed it so I don't think much sticks to it....

I know they can go long periods of time without food, but with her being so thin I feel like every successful feed is a major victory! Also I am thoroughly in love with her and I just feel like a good appetite is a confirmation that I'm doing everything right by her and she's happy enough to take a meal.

Old 11-08-2015, 04:48 PM   #25
DollysMom
O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmer View Post
Another successful feeding! Had to leave it overnight in her tank with her, but just like last time it was gone in the morning and she was stuffed

So far, I haven't seen any tank/hand aggression or snappiness, but we haven't had her long! I think feeding her in the tank is for the best, at least right now, because it sounds like that's what she's been used to for most of her life.

The biggest thing I worry about is impaction from her ingesting substrate but... Not really sure how to avoid that. Besides, if she can digest bones, fur, and gristle, can't she digest a few aspen shavings? The mouse is dry when I feed it so I don't think much sticks to it....

I know they can go long periods of time without food, but with her being so thin I feel like every successful feed is a major victory! Also I am thoroughly in love with her and I just feel like a good appetite is a confirmation that I'm doing everything right by her and she's happy enough to take a meal.
Congrats. You can always try leaving the prey on a deli cup lid or something to minimize contact with the substrate. The few times I've fed in viv I was able to observe my corn snake spitting out or avoid taking in aspen substrate when they pushed the mouse from the lid. Ymmv.

I tend to think the aggression thing feeding in viv is a myth for corn snakes. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence to support each view, so I think it is up to the owner to decide, taking cues from their snake.

I prefer to feed my corn out because I weigh and feed at the same time. It's just the way I've gotten used to doing it. Mine still likes a darkened room but graduated from the covered deli cup in the viv to the tub in a darkened room after the second feeding. Mine now eats very readily in her little feeding tub though she doesn't strike. She likes me to just put the pinky down and within a minute or so she it bites and proceeds to eat it (usually butt end first) very purposefully and steadily. I can now have enough light to see her, but still not enough for a snapshot!

Just let your snake be your guide. They really are the snake need experts.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google