CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Am I feeding enough?

Old 11-18-2015, 09:32 AM   #11
nicolefowler2005
Oh I like that one too!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-18-2015, 01:54 PM   #12
Rigby & Marcy
Your snake looks fine and could maybe move up to double pinkies soon depending on the weight. I will just say though, take any increases slowly. So many times people with a young snake will weigh their snake, panic that they're starving it, and then feed aggressively, causing a regurge. Snakes don't have an exact amount that they NEED to eat, and the Munson plan has always been a bit overboard for me. I use it as a guide and then scale it back.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:37 PM   #13
jessmarie
The lump method is slightly easier to follow than the weight one. If a snake is burning through their food in a matter of hours, they need more. I'd do double pinks at this point.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:12 PM   #14
nicolefowler2005
Well o bought the scale today off amazon and cancelled the one that was back ordered so I'll have it Monday for sure!! Thank you dragonling I got the one you showed me!! Thanks to everyone for the advice!!

Old 11-19-2015, 08:32 PM   #15
Colorguardchic19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
I got a very nice scale at my local Target Store. It's highly accurate and was very well priced.

But you have already ordered a scale so you can weigh her when it arrives. That's the best way to tell about feeding.

To answer your question "Does she look underfed?" No she doesn't. She looks fine to me.

After a baby snake reaches about 18 grams in weight, they can actually eat 2 pinkies per meal until they reach about 25 grams and then you'll feed 1 fuzzy.

That's why the scale is needed. Although the snake looks ok in the picture, sometimes pictures are deceiving and it's still going to be best to weigh the snake and adjust the meals accordingly.
I got mine at target too for like 20 bucks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Old 11-19-2015, 08:39 PM   #16
nicolefowler2005
Ok so I'm probably just being a worry wart but she's looking more and more dull and has been super lethargic, she did eat yesterday but could this be from not eating enough or could it just be that she's about to shed maybe? Her eyes don't look cloudy but I have had her for about 3 weeks and she hasn't shed yet! Do corns shed once a month?

Old 11-19-2015, 08:40 PM   #17
Colorguardchic19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolefowler2005 View Post
Ok so I'm probably just being a worry wart but she's looking more and more dull and has been super lethargic, she did eat yesterday but could this be from not eating enough or could it just be that she's about to shed maybe? Her eyes don't look cloudy but I have had her for about 3 weeks and she hasn't shed yet! Do corns shed once a month?

I'd say she's going into shed. She's dull, lethargic and not eating which all are signs of shed

Old 11-19-2015, 08:41 PM   #18
nicolefowler2005
Oh ok so I should leave her alone for a while right? I just get worried since I wasn't sure if I had been underfeeding her and all

Old 11-19-2015, 08:42 PM   #19
Colorguardchic19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolefowler2005 View Post
Oh ok so I should leave her alone for a while right? I just get worried since I wasn't sure if I had been underfeeding her and all

If she was hungry she would've eaten. They are designed to go 2 weeks without food if necessary. I'd let her be for a couple days. Put in some moist moss in a humid hide and let her get comfortable.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:51 PM   #20
nicolefowler2005
She did eat yesterday but she wasn't as aggressive about it!! But I will make her comfy and see how it goes thank you!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google