• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Surprise Surprise

So I got my scale in the mail today and was super surprised to find out that Bella only weighs 8g!! So I guess she isn't big enough for double pinkies yet!! I really thought she would be more than that! I'm wondering if the pet store was like way off on her age!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard that some pet stores feed snakes infrequently to keep costs down and sell them as babies longer. But corns can have naturally different rates of growth. Just feed appropriately and go with it. It's good to have an accurate weight to work with!

I read where you got a defective scale! So by my math Bella weighs closer to 20 grams if your scale weighs nickels as 2 grams! Sounds like she's ready for double pinks. Sorry you got a bum scale. That almost never happens.

Thats my luck!! So I'm wondering if that's the case should I feed her another pinky tonight? Today is her day to eat and she had one around 6:00 should I give her another?

No, I'd just let her digest at this point. No point in risking a regurge by disturbing her. Next feeding will be soon enough for double pinks.

She just always seems to be starving at every feed!! She strikes and constricts now every time and grabs for them before I can even put them down

Ok sorry I'm such a worry wart I'm just a new momma!! I'll calm down soon I promise lol

Don't worry it's pretty natural! Corn are pretty hardy though!! Also, feeding a smaller than normal meal is totally fine. It actually might be better to feed your snake a few smaller than normal meals at first if s/he has been on a maintenance diet.

Good luck, and we're here for you! :cheers:

Ok sorry I'm such a worry wart I'm just a new momma!! I'll calm down soon I promise lol

You and me both! I was paranoid the last few days thinking she didn't like me and I was a terrible snake mama already. Turns out she's in the blue and just didn't let me see it. Lol. Phew.

I've heard that some pet stores feed snakes infrequently to keep costs down and sell them as babies longer. But corns can have naturally different rates of growth. Just feed appropriately and go with it. It's good to have an accurate weight to work with!
I was going to buy a scale eventually to keep track of her weight, but I realized that I don't even know what her weight is now. The store said they were feeding her 2 pinkies per week, but I suppose after reading this that could have been wrong for her?

Rara, once you know the weight, you can use that to select the right weight of mouse to feed. Search for the Munson Plan on this forum, and it will tell you the right size and frequency for your snake's size. I and many others here recommend letting your snake get somewhat bigger than the Munson plan states before moving up in prey size.

I just eyeball the size of the food to the size of the snake.. But I am not feeding aggressively, either.

Back