• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

MOUSE QUESTION

Sean22

how long for a pregnant mouse to have babies
is it ok to breed mouse right after it has its babies?
or wait till the babies are weened?

This new set up for this site is a little complacated. The question to breed mice after a litter, no do not breed right after the mouse had a litter wait at least 2 weeks. Or as long as it takes you to get ride of the mice.

Eh, I leave mine in after they've given birth. *shrug* I'm interested in numbers mostly. No mice ever go to waste at my house, and usually I'm running a "just in time" policy it seems.

If you're breeding for pet mice maybe, but for feeders I don't think it really matters. As long as they have a really good diet, I don't see the issue in waiting.

That and if you leave the male out for too long, you may have issues re-introducing him to an adult female.

Not to seem to rude, but most of the questions you're curious about have been discussed at length previously on the forum. All you have to do is use Search and enter the keywords you're interested in.

And PS, the whole caps lock dealie is a little much. We see your posts just fine without you "shouting" for attention. ;)

I agree with Taceas. I leave my mice together after the babies are born. Mine are all feeders, as well. I have had several males killed by the females when the male was taken out and then reintroduced to the females. It works well for me to leave them together.

WAIT A SEC
i have a cage with 1 male/3 female
you said to leave the babies in with them?
would the male or one of the other females eat the babies?

Mine don't usually. As a matter of fact, it seems as if all of the mothers pitch in to help raise the babies.

On occasion, a mother mouse will eat her babies, but it doesn't happen very often. I think I have only had a couple of mothers that did, and they were fed off. I don't tolerate that behavior. Any mouse that is caught cannibalizing, becomes snake food.

There is one exception to this. Sometimes first time mothers will cannibalize their young. I will not feed off a first time mother for doing this. If she does it after her second litter, that's another story...

like i said i have 1:3 in 10 gallons
do they need bigger space so they dont eat the young?
or is the space theyre in now ok?

I thought that question was already answered. I keep 1:5 in a ten gallon aquarium. As Taceas said, the smell gets bad pretty quickly with that many, so the tanks have to be cleaned more often.

Back