CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

The babies are born!!!!!

Old 07-30-2004, 08:39 PM   #1
cornsnake234
The babies are born!!!!!

My first baby mice are born this afternoon!!!! i'm so excited!! I wish the parents won't eat them. They are soo small and very cute!!!!! I will post pics as soon as i can, but for the moment i'll try to don't disturb them too much! The only thing i'm worried about is the temperature, it's very hot outside and inside about 98 F!!!! I've putted an ice bottle outside my tank near of the nest and it stay cooler at this place... about 73F, the other mice are always there so i guess it will help.

Old 07-30-2004, 08:49 PM   #2
Skye
congratulations! first babies are always very special

Old 07-30-2004, 10:38 PM   #3
lil' corn
Cool, but are u using them as fedders

Old 08-02-2004, 05:01 PM   #4
cornsnake234
Red face Pinky

Yes, i use them as feeders. I still don't know if i will be able to kill them, I think i'm falling in love!!

Here's a pic of a little 3 day pinky that escaped the nest!! don't notice my bedding please, i know it is very messy and dirty but i don't wanted to disturb the little cutie!!!! i will change and wash everything when the will be older.

Old 08-02-2004, 06:02 PM   #5
Taceas
I've found that mice will ALWAYS give birth right before you are scheduled to clean their cages out. I think they're psychic about it. =P

Anyway, I've found that if you leave the nest area and 2 inches on all sides of the nest and then just clean out the rest, and just replace everything else they do pretty good. As long as you leave the familiar scents and whatnot alone, I've not had a problem changing the litter. Sometimes I can reach in and grab the entire nest; babies, material, and all in one handfull and let it sit in a bowl till I'm done, then put it back afterwards.

One of my colonies is so sensitive about their babies that if you even get in the nest and root around searching for the right sized baby, they'll spend hours packing the babies from one spot to another. Usually it's one female who'll insist on the babies being in the food bowl, and the others spend their time putting the babies back in the nest. I still haven't figured that one out.

But I kind of operate under the assumption that they're going to be disturbed for various things throughout the course of their lives...might as well start now.

Old 08-02-2004, 06:38 PM   #6
DAND
What I find the most funny is when two or more have babies around the same time and there are two nesting sites. One goes to the other's pile of babies and takes one as the other is doing the same. Usually this ends up with only one nesting site but it's funny to see.

Old 08-02-2004, 10:01 PM   #7
cornsnake234
LOL!!! Mice are very funny animals!!

Mine don't do those weird things for the moment! it is my first experience and they seem to do very well. I was afraid that they would eat their babies but i'm lucky right now!! I have only two females, and the second one just had her litter tonight. She putted them in the same nest, so they feed each other pups, and the dad seems to also take care of them. I don't know if i am right, but while my second female was still pregnant, i saw her feed the babies of the other female!!! is it possible?!

Thx for replies

Old 08-03-2004, 05:31 AM   #8
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnake234
LOL!!! Mice are very funny animals!!

I don't know if i am right, but while my second female was still pregnant, i saw her feed the babies of the other female!!! is it possible?!

Thx for replies
Yep, you are right. They usually end up with a community nursery with all the mothers (and mothers to be) feeding and cleaning.

Old 08-03-2004, 11:22 PM   #9
lil' corn
So Cool, They best way i find to feed them to wait till there the size want take half of them and just stick then a ziplock and throw them in a rezzer then wait till the other half gets to the next size and frezze those

Old 08-05-2004, 08:29 PM   #10
cornsnake234
Talking Some other pics

Tonight i've clean around the babies nest and i've removed the adults from the tank... so i've been able to take few pics of all the pups. If you are able to count them... tell me how many you see!

The father in the hands of my boyfriend

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google