CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Breeding Mice

Old 03-22-2006, 12:59 PM   #31
VinnyJ
I would suggest you not feed live mice to your snakes. I've never seen a fuzzie bite or claw a snake and inflict an injury but... and there's alway a but .... mice can carry parasites and freezing the mice first will kill the parasites they may have. You might feed your snakes a thousand times and not have a problem but if you do have a problem with parasites then you'd be taking a trip to the vet for sure. I'd rather be safe than sorry. You can always wiggle the F/T food in front of them with the tongs and they'll still attack it and coil it up.

Old 03-23-2006, 01:28 AM   #32
schilsound
I would agree with this idea if the mice were coming from a less than reputable pet store, or perhaps some breeder who didn't care for his animals,or any time there might be a question about the general health of the animal or their habitat/caging circumstances.

But I grow my mice right here in my house- I inspect them, their caging and supplies; I keep their water fresh and look out for any abnormal marking, spotting or coat issues.

I would be surprised to find anything on or in them that I don't know about, and if one would even give a hint as to illness then it would be segregated and treated, or culled immediately if untreatable.

So I would have to say that I agree with your statement in the right circumstance, Vinny, but in my situation I prefer using the live foodstuffs if possible. Even though it's not their diet in the wild at least it is a bit more natural for them temp and prey-wise imo.

Old 03-24-2006, 01:56 PM   #33
andy_771
i dont want to get into a debate but i was told that it is against the law to fed live mice in the uk just something i thought needed to be said

Old 03-24-2006, 02:34 PM   #34
diamondlil
for a kick, yes, but if you can prove it is to save the snake, it is ok to feed live in the UK.The RSPCA etc cannot ban it completely as it is a respected practise for non-feeding snakes to be fed live rodents as a last resort. I'm sure London Zoo etc have used the live-feeding trick in their herp collections and will continue to do so when necessary.

Old 03-24-2006, 10:23 PM   #35
VinnyJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by schilsound
I would be surprised to find anything on or in them that I don't know about
This is my point... I would eliminate any surprises. I wouldn't want to be surprised by a sick snake that I could have easily prevented getting sick. Mice can have harmful parasites without any visible warning. The risk for you may not be that big because of all the precautions you take but it is still a risk. My intension was to inform the people who don't know about the risk so they can make that call for themselves. Again... in my book it's better safe than sorry.

Old 04-07-2006, 10:29 PM   #36
haloemt
I would not feed live ever. I've never fed live but I just recently got a nice adult from a local pet store as a customer bring in. He has a 1 1/2 wound about 6 inches behind his head on his right side that was said to be from a live mouse attack. Yes snakes have instinks but if they aren't interested right away the mouse can and will attack as in the case of my new snake. If he wasn't in blue I'd show pics but he doesn't look like he wants to be handled right now. Thats just my .02 cents

Old 05-11-2006, 02:30 AM   #37
sweety314
mice breeding

Even after 3 days you'll have to be careful about disturbing the nest. Mice are notorious for eating babies at the drop of a hat.

No, don't drown them. Newborns could be frozen because of their susceptibility to cold, but CO2 is more humane. A small paintball canister filled and a valve & hose only cost me $42 for my rats, and it's going to last a looooooong time. (Or a dry ice CO2 chamber would work but for mice would be a little more than U need.)

Be prepared. Once the mouse has her litter, the male will rebreed her immediately. Don't put more than one male w/your chosen number of females. They'll fight

Good luck.

Old 05-13-2006, 06:09 AM   #38
rhinecat
Quote:
Originally Posted by schilsound
Just a quick question- why would you suggest never feeding the fuzzies live?
Because it's massively unethical to torture a rodent to death simply to see your snake eat a live prey item. Because freezing kills parasites and germs. Because rodents bite back. Because frozen rodents are infinitely cheaper. Because some of us own snakes because we like them, not because we like to see them kill things. I mean, where should I stop? For all the perceived benefits of live feeding (exercise, etc.) there are ways to do that that do not require a rodent to be squashed to death.

And as for the argument that live prey is "natural"--trapping live rodents in a container with a predator on a regular basis is about as natural as breeding snakes for genetic mutations, keeping them confined indoors, and treating them as pets. Likewise, having a rodent escape completely, leaving the snake hungry; or having the rodent kill the snake, are both "natural" outcomes.

Also, on a purely personal note, unless you feel like having your mice's feces tested for worms and other ectoparasites, you really might NOT see any indication of infestation. I can't understand, with all the risks, why anyone would deliberately expose their pets to dangers that are totally avoidable in almost all cases.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google