CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Constricting Dead Prey

Old 02-13-2007, 08:52 PM   #21
Tula_Montage
We are POSITIVE!

Old 02-13-2007, 08:52 PM   #22
Fenderplayer108
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666killademon
Are u sure cause i read it in a book that they do and that they would in the wild?
Yeah. A WILD Corn might eat an occasional quail egg.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:56 PM   #23
666killademon
thanks for clearin that up for me thats all need to know thanks guys you've been a big help

Old 03-07-2007, 05:20 PM   #24
Swe_Corn
about constricting

yeah about constricting the food...

Ok it goes like this, a snake never use more energy if the donīt need to, for exampel if you get bitten of a venomous snake it s 90% dry bites because the wanna scare you in the first place ...not to kill you , other snakes like the black tigersnake never uses more energy than they have to because they only eat a few days of the year , so if you only have been giving them pre kille or frozen food they will eventually adapt to that because its the only thing they now, BUT if you give them living they will most of the times constict them because they cant kill a grown mice ...mark that juvenils svallow pinkies alive because the dont resist that much but a fully grown mouse will, so if you have been feeding them om pre killed animals continue with that ,1: its much cheaper 2:it will not harm your snake

if you want to make them constrict poke the mouse a little or hold on to its tail when they grab them... but its not neccesary for the snake to constrict concidering health

i hope that info gave u somthing

Old 03-07-2007, 10:41 PM   #25
666killademon
the one thing that concerns me is that if they are fed prekilled all the time will they constrict a live mouse if they are given one because I would like to see my snake sqeeze the LIFE out of a mouse every now and then. So I worry that it will not immediatly constrict giving the live mouse enough time to retaliate. What do you think?

Old 03-07-2007, 10:52 PM   #26
dwyn127
You are getting advise from some very knowledgeable people in this thread, feed-your-snake-frozen/thawed-rodents!!!!

Old 03-08-2007, 12:01 AM   #27
tyflier
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666killademon
the one thing that concerns me is that if they are fed prekilled all the time will they constrict a live mouse if they are given one because I would like to see my snake sqeeze the LIFE out of a mouse every now and then. So I worry that it will not immediatly constrict giving the live mouse enough time to retaliate. What do you think?
If, for whatever reason, you feel that you must feed your snake live prey, at the very least, the prey should be rendered unconscious, simply to protect your snake from harm. There is NEVER any reason to put a fully live and conscious mouse into the feeding bin with a snake once that mouse is bigger than a peach fuzzy. I don't care who you are, you are not faster than a bite from a mouse that is about to get eaten. You WILL NOT be quick enough to prevent an injury to your snake in every instance.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:49 AM   #28
DogStar5988
I actually have a thread on this subject too:P. Anyways I have been trying to get my snake to constrict the last few feedings and we are starting to make progress. This last feeding I got him to strike at the mouse a few times and he then moved around like he was going to constrict but didn't. However before this he would get scared when I put my hand in his feeding container and just let go of the F/T fuzzy. I think you just have to try a few things (dangling, and touching him with the mouse around the middle of his body) and "read" your snake. Try not to push him too hard and stress him out. Work with f/t, there is no reason to feed live IMO. good luck.

---Kenny

Old 03-10-2007, 09:13 AM   #29
terry fielder
Quote:
I would like to see my snake sqeeze the LIFE out of a mouse every now and then
am i the only one who finds that comment sick. i understand there are snakes that will only eat live food but the owners try everything else first. you make it sound like your doing it for "fun"

Old 03-10-2007, 09:25 AM   #30
Phoeb
I agree with Terry Fielder and think that 666killademon should just do what is best for the snake. Not what seems more entertaining.

IMO

-Simon

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google