• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Aggressive Yearling Question...

Hope H

Corn-A-Holic
I'm getting ready to pick up a Snow Corn that has been in this pet shop for almost a year. She appears healthy and I've seen her eat. The problem is, every time the owner tries to pick her up out of the tank, she rattles her tail and strikes and bites. Is this something that can change over time with handling? Or is this a behavior that is here to stay? Never had a corn that was aggressive.

Well, some calm down with gentle handling and some don't. There are agressive corns...to a point. Even the most aggressive rarely bite, I think. Rattling her tail and hissing is just her way of showing her fear. She's scared so she's trying to scare you off! She probably hasn't been handled much in the pet shop and when a big hand comes at her she gets scared.

Aggresive Behavior

Behavior is difficult to predict in any animal. But I would guess that it will most likley calm down after you get it home. Being in a pet shop is stressful for any animal and I'm sure that some of that behavior is from being stressed. Tail rattleing is not uncommon in young corns and it might continue for some time. I think there is a good chance that the striking will get better after the snake realizes it is safe and you are not going to hurt it. After you get it home leave it alone for a few days with plenty of places to hide and then start handleing it a little each day (xcept after eating of course:) ) I think everything will turn out ok.

Good Luck,
Alicia

Thank You Both

Really appreciate the feedback. Was just curious if anyone else had ever experienced this and if the snake changed over time. She is a very pretty corn, a little over 2'. I just needed some positive feed back for encouragement... lol...Thanks again!

Just an additional thought

When I got my Snow she was 5 years old. She didn't try to strike or bite but she did rattle her tail and push her body at my hand when I had to take her out. She had not been handled very much and was nervous and jumpy. She is doing real well now and none of that previous behavior is present. She is a real mellow girl.

:) Alicia

The first week i got my corn (he was about 2 months old) he tried to bite me once. now he wouldn't hurt a fly... well i shouldn't say that... he tried to bite a fly.. hmm uhh but my corn, edger, would never bite anyone... strange little guy

Most snakes at pet stores are VERY aggresive, they get constantly harassed every day, kept in close confinement,and often at improper temps.The only hands they see are usually tormenting them by tapping on the glass of their enclosures. Ask to hold it, if it tries to bite you while you are holding it (something I personally have never had happen even with wild caughts)you might want to leave it for someone with more expierience. I think you will find once it is in your hand it will calm down quite a bit,(especially with a firm but gentle touch).A local pet store had a normal/miami corn it was VERY aggresive (would have given a king snake a run for the money) once you had it in your hand though it was as calm as any corn. I would buy it,even if it does not calm down, it will teach you to respect a snake.A little aggression can be a good thing, especially at feeding time! ;) Besides I am kind of a masochist like that.

Thank you everyone...I'm picking her up this weekend! She may be a little handful at first, but I'm sure we can make some progress.

Congrats on your new snake then! I wouldn't be discouraged by a bad temper, one of my snows bit me when I was checking her out in the store, and within a few months she had chilled out. Now she's as tame as can be and I absolutely love her!

She's Home!

I finially picked her up from the pet store today. She has already mellowed. Her conditions weren't that great at the pet shop. No hide boxes and just newspaper with a water dish. She is in her new hides and digging through the aspen. Hasn't bit me once. We have a keeper :)

Back