CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

First time snake owner. Loving it!

Old 09-08-2015, 03:23 PM   #91
kdickens
Feeding every 5 or 6 days is sufficient. Every 4 days is quite a bit. You don't want Slinky to think every time you walk by he'll get fed!

Old 09-08-2015, 03:38 PM   #92
Haight
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
Slinky is such a dear heart. Of course he wants more. In nature they pack it in when they can because there may not be another meal for weeks!

Just keep repeating to yourself, "less aggressive feeding is better for my snake's health long term." I know I had to. When Dolly was on single pinks it seemed like he hardly grew and it was sooooo hard. Now, six months in my care, he's packing it on even on a six day feeding schedule. According to Munson he could be on hoppers, but I'd rather delay the hopper jump (forgive the pun), so he's got 8 more large fuzzies every 6 days, not counting shed fasts, on the menu. Last weigh in was 53 grams. I have the hoppers and weanlings ready in my freezer .

Slinky will get there before you know it. Go Slinky!
I'm working on it haha. Even on single pinks though Slinky has been growing like crazy. 20 days and he has gone from 14" and 12g to 17" and 18 grams. I am generally going to follow the Munson plan, just slightly less agressive.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:25 PM   #93
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdickens View Post
Feeding every 5 or 6 days is sufficient. Every 4 days is quite a bit. You don't want Slinky to think every time you walk by he'll get fed!
I swear that's exactly what they all think, unless they are in shed or digesting. Then they just want to be left alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haight View Post
I'm working on it haha. Even on single pinks though Slinky has been growing like crazy. 20 days and he has gone from 14" and 12g to 17" and 18 grams. I am generally going to follow the Munson plan, just slightly less agressive.
Growing like little Slinky weed, that's for sure.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:46 PM   #94
Karl_Mcknight
they grow faster as babies. Your math calculations will not hold up as he ages. He will seem to grow really fast the first 6 months, then it will get progressively slower. He will be adult length by age 3 or 4 years, and may only grow an additional 2 inches the rest of his life. It could be harmful to the snake to try to "Bulk him up" too fast. As DollysMom posted above, it's better for him to have slow steady growth.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:54 PM   #95
Haight
Slinky had his first Fuzzy today and took it like a champ. He weighed 27g before feeding. I can't believe how fast he is growing!

Old 09-22-2015, 09:01 PM   #96
Haight
Oh, and I forgot to add that he is in shed again.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:11 PM   #97
DollysMom
Wow, he sure is a big boy. What a great little snake!

Old 11-08-2015, 01:56 PM   #98
Haight
Thought I would provide a little update. Slinky has now been through three sheds with me in two months. He is 3.5 months old now, and he is 26" long (according to serpwidgets) at 46g in weight. I'm thoroughly convinced that he is growing abnormally fast. His first shed was 18", second shed was 23"" and third shed was 27.5". He is due any day for another shed. The first three were all within 50 days of each other, with the last one being 20 days ago. I'll try to get a recent picture uploaded soon. He is downing 9g fuzzies like they're a snack. I feed him every 5-6 days.

Old 11-08-2015, 02:36 PM   #99
Karl_Mcknight
you'll be bumping him up to hoppers in another 3 or 4 feedings.

Rufus grew very fast too as a youngster, but he's starting taper back a bit. He added 9 inches in length and doubled in weight the first 2 months I had him. He's at 121 grams now and about 31 inches long and he's still not a year old.

If housed and fed correctly, they do grow up pretty quickly.

Old 11-08-2015, 02:42 PM   #100
DollysMom
Thanks for the update. Glad Slinky is doing so well!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google