CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

First time snake owner. Loving it!

Old 08-23-2015, 02:14 AM   #31
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haight View Post
Thanks for all of the info. I must say I am thoroughly enjoying learning about corn snakes. Regardless of Slinky's morph, I am in love. I can't wait to take him out tomorrow! Tomorrow will have been 96 hours since his feeding. Is there a "time limit" on handling hatch-ling snakes daily as to not induce too much stress?
A calm and happy 5 to 10 minute handling is plenty for a little guy on pinkies especially while you are learning as well. Keeping the experience positive for both of you is very important. When they are little and on a 5 day feeding schedule, between leaving them alone a couple of days after eating, the day of feeding and however long they want to hide pre shedding (they may shed every 4 to 6 weeks at that point), you may not get to handle as often or as long as you like. Ask me how I know

Old 08-23-2015, 01:06 PM   #32
Haight
So he hasn't pooped yet, but I had him out today for a few minutes and I got a chance to weigh him. 15g. I have found some urates in his viv so I know that not all of the pinkies weight is still on him. I weighed two other same size pinkies that I have in the freezer and they came out at 4g together. Its been 4 days since he fed.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:32 AM   #33
DollysMom
Quote:
So he hasn't pooped yet, but I had him out today for a few minutes and I got a chance to weigh him. 15g. I have found some urates in his viv so I know that not all of the pinkies weight is still on him. I weighed two other same size pinkies that I have in the freezer and they came out at 4g together. Its been 4 days since he fed.
Theory says a 15 gram snake can eat 2-2 gram pinkies every 5 days. However, your snake looked beyond stuffed in the picture which is what I think had everyone concerned. If it were me, I'd still feed a single pinky for a little while. If you can get your hands on some 3 gram pinkies, one of those every 5 days would probably be ideal.

Many of us who use the Munson plan for guidance go more slowly because the plan is designed for maximum growth to breeding size. Somewhat slower growth may be healthier in the long run.

For example, my snake is between 45 and 50 grams (he weighed 44 grams before the last feeding) and I'm just about to move him up from 5 gram fuzzies up to 7 gram fuzzies. He's been gaining 3 grams a feeding except for the 10 day pre-shed fast when a feeding was skipped and he only gained one gram. You can see I'm behind as far as Munson is concerned, but my snake is gaining steadily and is a healthy shape (the so called loaf of bread cross section). And when I put him on the larger fuzzies, I'm also going from a 5 to a 6 day schedule.

Of course it's all a lot of judgement calls. The food bulge and how fast it disappears is definitely something to be aware of. Many of us with one snake use all of a smaller prey on hand before moving to larger. It doesn't hurt a thing. I'm not throwing out my last 5 gram fuzzy that's for sure!

Old 08-24-2015, 12:44 AM   #34
Haight
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
Theory says a 15 gram snake can eat 2-2 gram pinkies every 5 days. However, your snake looked beyond stuffed in the picture which is what I think had everyone concerned. If it were me, I'd still feed a single pinky for a little while. If you can get your hands on some 3 gram pinkies, one of those every 5 days would probably be ideal.

Many of us who use the Munson plan for guidance go more slowly because the plan is designed for maximum growth to breeding size. Somewhat slower growth may be healthier in the long run.

For example, my snake is between 45 and 50 grams (he weighed 44 grams before the last feeding) and I'm just about to move him up from 5 gram fuzzies up to 7 gram fuzzies. He's been gaining 3 grams a feeding except for the 10 day pre-shed fast when a feeding was skipped and he only gained one gram. You can see I'm behind as far as Munson is concerned, but my snake is gaining steadily and is a healthy shape (the so called loaf of bread cross section). And when I put him on the larger fuzzies, I'm also going from a 5 to a 6 day schedule.

Of course it's all a lot of judgement calls. The food bulge and how fast it disappears is definitely something to be aware of. Many of us with one snake use all of a smaller prey on hand before moving to larger. It doesn't hurt a thing. I'm not throwing out my last 5 gram fuzzy that's for sure!
Oh I absolutely intend on feeding him only one. I posted his weight as confirmation that the 14g approx was an error. If he hasn't pooped and all I have found is urates then I am sure that he still has at the very least 2 of pinkie waste that will come out. So I would approx his weight at 12g. I think. haha. I'll weigh him again after he poops so long as that is before tomorrow evening (his next scheduled feeding). I was honestly surprised at how fast he digested 2 pinkies. My snake is a beast!

Old 08-24-2015, 01:09 AM   #35
Haight
I meant to say 2g of waste.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:54 AM   #36
DollysMom
Quote:
Oh I absolutely intend on feeding him only one. I posted his weight as confirmation that the 14g approx was an error. If he hasn't pooped and all I have found is urates then I am sure that he still has at the very least 2 of pinkie waste that will come out. So I would approx his weight at 12g. I think. haha. I'll weigh him again after he poops so long as that is before tomorrow evening (his next scheduled feeding). I was honestly surprised at how fast he digested 2 pinkies. My snake is a beast!
Lol on beast. He's definitely cute and I love the name, too!

Old 08-24-2015, 01:57 AM   #37
Haight
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
Lol on beast. He's definitely cute and I love the name, too!
I like it too. My five year old came up with the name. I thought it was funny because one of my favorite youtubers, ViperKeeper, has a mamba named slinky, and that snake is a hoot.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:31 PM   #38
Haight
Just down his second meal with me. 2g pinkie on the dot. Is he large for his age?
Serpwidgets snake measurer has him at 15.7" in this picture.

Old 08-24-2015, 04:32 PM   #39
Haight
I mean this picture =p

Old 08-24-2015, 05:02 PM   #40
Haight
Also, good news! I was able to return the heat lamp to the breeder, and I bought a UTH and Zilla heat controller off of amazon. I am now using it in conjunction with a digital thermometer to keep his warm side at a comfy 81-84* (is that about right). btw that is the temperature right at the heating pad under the substrate.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google