CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

$10 Burms- get yours cheap!

Old 08-14-2010, 08:31 PM   #11
starsevol
David, it's wrong, but Im sure it happens.

It really does not bode well for the hobby...

Old 08-14-2010, 08:41 PM   #12
Carinata
It is a problem with both the adults and the teens. I think certain species should have clear warnings listed at the tables. IE: Burms: can grow to 20' and be very aggressive. King rats: Can be very aggressive and require large amounts of space.

I also think that vendors should require ID when selling large snakes. Even species like boas should have a clear warning. Boas, even though never indicated in a human death can inflict a nasty bite and are strong snakes. I will admit even some colubrids should come with a clear warning. King rats, Beauty snakes, Radiated rats, Green tailed racers, and others all can be big and aggressive.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:42 PM   #13
Stormy
I honestly think the reason people are pricing their burms and other overly large snakes so cheap is because of the recent laws put into effect. They want to sell them off before it becomes completely illegal to sell them. Is it right? No. But any hobby is going to have this, I mean look at the puppy breeders. There are legitimate ones then there are the ones you see on the news.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:46 PM   #14
Lennycorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypancistrus View Post
Is this really the way we want to treat our hobby? Should we, in this political climate, be offering dangerous animals for sale to the public, at random, in so cavalier a fashion?
Well no but where will the law stop??

Most people think corns are dangerous.

So again where???

Who will draw that line... that thick gray line?

Old 08-14-2010, 08:50 PM   #15
dionythicus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypancistrus View Post
My other dislike is people who bring their pets to reptile shows and walk around with them. Why? No one who matters cares that your beardie is really big and tame and rides your shoulder. The people oohing and aahing are the people who don't have any clue the danger your healthy animal can be in at a herp show. Do you really need to impress those people??
Our local show in October does not allow animals other than those for sale. There is also plenty of hand sanitizer everywhere.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:54 PM   #16
Carinata
If political leaders are going to start making these laws they should take into account what these people will be doing with the animals and adress it.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:57 PM   #17
Carinata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennycorn View Post
Well no but where will the law stop??

Most people think corns are dangerous.

So again where???

Who will draw that line... that thick gray line?
Scientists and people who know what they are talking about. Reptile owners like you and I also need to take a stand.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:07 PM   #18
Michael823
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakemaster24 View Post
Really? I think that it doesn't even have to be a teenager that buys the snake. An adult could get it and have the same issue. I think vendors need to be alot more attentive to who they sell snakes too. Be it a teenage or an adult. Because the issue isn't age, its experience. I keep some odd ball snakes all of which I do great with. But I know people who can't keep a cornsnake alive that are twice my age! So it all has to do with each individual and their ability to care for the animal. And as much as teenagers get attack for bad husbandry and being immature with animals. I personally think that some teenagers are great keepers and some adults don't know what the hell they are doing! And vice versa. So as much as it is the kids fault for saying "Hey! There's a cheap snake!". It is as much the adults fault for selling a snake at that price to a minor.
Agreed! And slightly off topic, but I almost had to do a double take. You've been very well written lately. Definitely showing a lot of thought in your posts, and a lot of effort in taking the time to deliver it.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:14 PM   #19
Carinata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael823 View Post
Agreed! And slightly off topic, but I almost had to do a double take. You've been very well written lately. Definitely showing a lot of thought in your posts, and a lot of effort in taking the time to deliver it.
Thanks Michael.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:14 PM   #20
kathylove
Scientists and people who know what they are talking about...

I WISH! Unfortunately, at worst, it is politicians bought with money from animal rights activists, or at best, politicians who do whatever will get the most votes from the most people. And the scientists who ARE involved often have never actually kept live herps, although they may be great taxonomists or field workers. And their main concern is often how they will get grant money, and who will fund their next research project. So don't be TOO hopeful that people who know what they're doing will be making the laws.

But there is no point in making their "ban the nasty snake" job any easier than it already is by breeders and dealers doing things that make great, sensationalistic headlines.

The whole thing about selling to kids is more of a legal issue. There are plenty of uneducated adults out there. But once they are 18, they have responsibilities to fend for themselves that minors do not. So it is much more important to protect kids from their own stupidity (or lack of knowledge) than it is for adults. I have no doubt that there are many kids who are more mature than many adults. But they are still minors, and need more protection under the law.

Nice to see you back, David!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google