CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

$4000 Squirrel

Old 11-15-2005, 12:15 PM   #21
Preita
Quote:
Originally Posted by carol
I do have to say... Elk tastes REALLY good.
Yes it does! We had this running joke about my grandpa, he had a hunting licence for every kind of animal in the US! lol We would tease that it was his goal to kill or catch one of everything before it was his time...I think he's made it.

Its a toss up which was worse...the time he shot the moose or the bear. Bear is greasy and none to appetizing and well moose...500lbs of moose...he bought 2 extra freezers for moose...we ate moose EVERYTHING for almost 2 years. mmm moose chili, moose burgers, moose stroganaff, moose steak....moose actually tastes pretty good, a little sweet. but it was a lot of moose!

Old 11-15-2005, 12:35 PM   #22
Mary-Beth
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsevol
Yes, you NEED credit cards, you pretty much cant buy a house or a new car without a line of credit. And just TRY to reserve a flight on an airline.
No, you do not NEED a credit card. I've never had one. I use a debit card for all of my on line purchases and, like princess, if I don't have enough money to buy something I just save up until I do. Also about a year ago we were approved for a mortgage loan with a very decent interest rate. If the seller hadn't backed out of the deal I'd be out of this stinking trailer right now lol.

Yes, a credit card is a nice thing to have for "just in case" situations and I'm thinking of getting one just to build our credit score a little.

Quote:
Personally, I am 43 years old, own my house AND the building my business is housed in outright with no mortgage. Own my car outright (yes its a crappy 1996 Ford Taurus wagon but its mine mine mine!!) and have no credit card debt. I use credit cards but pay off the balance every month. And my husband and I are far from rich. Together we earn less than 40k a year.....
I own my home (granted, it's a trailer) and my car as well (2003 Honda Civic) - both paid in full and we make less then 21k a year. It has nothing to do with credit, it's all about money management.

Old 11-15-2005, 12:48 PM   #23
Preita
I agree about money management. We have 2 credit cards between my husband and me. They never see the light of day. But they sit there just incase the house implodes or whatever.

I have always saved up for everything...that also makes sure you wont have buyers remorse because you have had some time to think about it

Old 11-15-2005, 12:49 PM   #24
princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary-Beth is KoRny
...it's all about money management.

I totally agree. I saved $18k (Australian) in 2 years of frugal living but still ran a car, a horse and a social life....that funded my European trip which was meant to be for a year and 4 years on I'm still here!

I have a good friend who smokes like a chimney and can't resist when she sees 'an awesome pair of shoes that she just must have', but is always scraping together her change to pay bills. She's on a good income but has no idea how to manage it.

Old 11-15-2005, 12:50 PM   #25
Joejr14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary-Beth is KoRny
I own my home (granted, it's a trailer) and my car as well (2003 Honda Civic) - both paid in full and we make less then 21k a year. It has nothing to do with credit, it's all about money management.
Right, so what happens if at some point you decide you want a house, you go an apply and they say, "We're sorry, you have no credit--we can't approve that mortgage for $150,000."

Credit cards ARE necessary. If you're using your debit card as a credit card---why not just use a credit card? Get a card that you KNOW you have to pay off at the end of the month (like an Amex) and build yourself some credit while you're making normal, everyday purchases. I use my credit card to buy gas and sometimes groceries. There's nothing wrong with having and using a credit card as long as you're paying the balance off.

Old 11-15-2005, 01:02 PM   #26
Mary-Beth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejr14
Right, so what happens if at some point you decide you want a house, you go an apply and they say, "We're sorry, you have no credit--we can't approve that mortgage for $150,000."
Quote:
Originally Posted by myself
...about a year ago we were approved for a mortgage loan with a very decent interest rate.
I'll see if I can find my notes and stuff and post what the interest rate was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejr14
Credit cards ARE necessary.
That keeps getting said but there are people here that live WITHOUT a credit card, If people can live without them then they are NOT necessary.

*edit
BTW, $150,000 would buy a mansion around here.

Old 11-15-2005, 01:08 PM   #27
Jynx
Keep in mind MB that you don't have to make huge purchases all the time to build up credit. Buy gas, a few groceries, pack of cigarettes (if you smoke) etc etc. AND if you pay off the entire balance when you get your monthly bill, you do not pay interest. I have 4 of them, and I ******* hate credit cards, but I use them for things I know I am going to be able to pay off right away. I have one that is for emergency use only that stays in my wallet. Other than that, unless I know I'm going to use it, then the other ones stay at home.

People can get into trouble with them if they are not responsible. I think my brother is paying off a $15,000 debt to VISA, and he is only 25. Most people can't understand that they have to pay it back. They don't look at it as their money. That disassociation is normally what screws them. Just don't make any purchases that you wouldn't make with your own debit card. If you don't have the money in the bank, then the debit card will be declined right? Look at it the same way. It can do wonders for your credit. I'm 23, I own a 2005 Jetta GL, a new house, and my credit score is aroun 750... I haven't even finished college yet! Not very many people my age can say the same thing. You just need to teach yourself how to use them.

OT-$150,000 for a mansion? Um, I think I want to move out there. I bought my house for $135,000 brand new. The boom out here has gotten so bad that I can sell it now (6 months later) for almost $220,000. Hey, its an investment and if you play it right, real estate can give you the best return.

Old 11-15-2005, 01:18 PM   #28
Mary-Beth
Thanks for that advice Catherine.

I just looked quickly through the filing cabinet and didn't see the paper work for the loan.
Don't really feel like looking at it anyway. The guy selling the house decided to tear it down and put trailers on the land to rent out. I F-ing hate trailers.

Old 11-15-2005, 01:27 PM   #29
starsevol
Just remember debit cards DID NOT EXIST until recently. When I took out my loans I NEEDED a credit card. And having a credit card and knowing how to use it responsibly will get you farther than a debit card will. A good credit score says alot about a person...

Old 11-15-2005, 01:33 PM   #30
Mary-Beth
Quote:
Just remember debit cards DID NOT EXIST until recently. When I took out my loans I NEEDED a credit card. And having a credit card and knowing how to use it responsibly will get you farther than a debit card will. A good credit score says alot about a person...
You're absolutely correct!
I was never trying to say credit cards are bad, just that you can live without one.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google