CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

View Poll Results: Unrelated but snake names!
Éponine 4 50.00%
Mr. Cuddles 3 37.50%
Swimmy 1 12.50%
Courfeyrac 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Viv size question

Old 08-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
Eponine
Viv size question

Hi so I'm getting my first snake soon and it's coming with a 10 gallon used viv, and I have a 20 gallon not-long sitting in my garage, I got it for free. Will that be too small for my snake to grow into? Also, when will the 10 gallon be too small?
Thanks!

Old 08-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
NH93
I have read all over (forums, books) that a 20 gallon will suit a full grown corn!
My best guess is that when your corn cannot fully stretch out in her enclosure, it is time to upgrade. Many people on here have all kinds of tricks and rules for when to upgrade to a larger enclosure, I have seen.
I have a 15 month old corn in a 15 gallon, probably will upgrade in a few months.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
New2this<3
I agree with the above but they do seem to need a 20gal long. I'm still a noob on here but corns like belly heat and they like to burrow into their substrate. I'm a believer that no viv is to big if there are enough hides so you can move to a bigger viv as soon as you want.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
yojoe05
20 gall long vivs are the base minimum for full grown corns. Some may need a larger viv however if they're a large specimen. I believe if they can stretch out 3/4 of their body using 2 sides of the viv then the tank size is okay, don't quote me on that to be sure but I've heard that before on here I believe.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
subliminal
Sorry unrelated but nice to see another Calgarian here! Welcome. Are you getting your corn from Kijiji?

Old 08-18-2013, 10:36 PM   #6
Eponine
I found a breeder in airdrie via kijiji. I'm going next week to pick him/her up.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:37 PM   #7
subliminal
Yes I think I know who you mean. What morph are you going for?

Old 08-18-2013, 11:21 PM   #8
Eponine
Not sure yet, I don't know what the breeder will have. My favourite is reverse okeetee but I will probably go for a hypo or something close to regular.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google