CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > All "Others" Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

All "Others" Photo Gallery It was suggested to me that a photo gallery for the other critters and interests might be useful to the membership. So here you go, Walt. :)

Thor - albino Cape House Snake

Old 05-25-2017, 09:39 PM   #1
Magdalen
Thor - albino Cape House Snake

Thought I'd finally introduce Thor I got him as an early birthday present to myself at the beginning of March. I've been letting him settle since he's pretty shy and secretive. I figured today we'd start with just a little photo shoot. Boy was he a little jumpy towards the end.

I've never had to tame a snake before. My sand boa pretty much was mellow when I got her, the pet store did all the work. My hognose I didn't have long enough to try. Any tips for house snakes? Or should I just go in and hold him? I've tamed leopard geckos... but those guys pretty much do it themselves. I've been sticking my hand in his tank. Letting him check me out while I do tank spot cleaning. I haven't really tried to hold him yet.

Anyway his stats. When I got him he was about 10grams and born sometime in August. He was difficult to get feeding, but now he pretty much eats every week, even in shed when I don't realize he's in shed. It didn't take him long to start tagging his food off the tongs. I'm going to start with his photos from march plus his breeder's picture.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:40 PM   #2
Magdalen
These are from today including how I have his tank set up.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:14 PM   #3
Tavia
Good looking Housie!

For taming, Cape house snakes usually tend to be very fast and can be very skittish at this age, when on the ground. I've had a few hatchlings that are that way in the hand too, but for the most part Capes calm down a lot once they are picked up and though they might still be a bit jumpy if something startles them, they tend to grip on to your fingers and jump away from what it is, rather than trying to shoot out of your hands altogether, like most other hatchling snakes. They are generally good to explore your hands, keeping a grip on your fingers the whole time, for long periods of time.

He will probably be skittish for quite awhile and may make you have to chase him to pick him up. But briefly handling him frequently should get him calmer about it.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:19 PM   #4
Magdalen
Thank you Tavia

Do you find them to be nippy?

He did fine for the first few photos and then when I went to put my hand in there to put his hides in he did a jumpy popcorn thing haha. Cute little bugger that I figure it's about time we really got to know each other.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:04 PM   #5
DollysMom
Thor is such a handsome guy. Glad to have another member of the housie club here.

My Clyde is exactly as Tavia describes. When he's out I usually hold him. I can put him down and he'll sit for a while but he can take off in a flash. I need to always be faster than him. So I don't chance it much. If given a hide of some kind when put down though, he will often go straight to it.

I do have Clyde in a 20 gallon long so he can stretch out even if I don't let him crawl around on the floor much. When he was Thor's size he was in a 10 gallon very similar to your set up which is lovely.

Well, I think Thor is great. When I got Clyde he was about the same size as you got Thor. Now he is over 100 grams. It takes a while but Thor won't be so tiny all that long. Clyde has never made a move to strike or bite, unlike my corn snakes who have each given me one very confused and accidental feeding bite. Gotta love the reptile brain moments.

Old 05-26-2017, 01:59 AM   #6
albertagirl
Eve did bite me a couple of times in the very beginning, but of course they didn't hurt. I happened to have the big box my air conditioner came in, so I held her over that in the beginning. It was big enough that she couldn't reach the sides so she didn't try to use it to get away from me, and tall enough that if she did jump off my hands and land in it, she couldn't get back out. The scariest part was getting her out of her cage because her "popcorn" jumps were high enough to jump right out of the cage once the lid was off.

As the other ladies have said, the hardest part was catching her and getting her out, but once out, she was really good and holding on and finger-weaving. I found it was easiest to pick her up inside her favorite hide, which at that time was a toilet paper tube.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:00 AM   #7
albertagirl
Oh, and congratulations. You're going to love holding him. They feel very different from any other snake I've ever held.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:06 AM   #8
DollysMom
Thats so true about how they feel, albertagirl. And the finger weaving is so cool. I call it the wrap-o-rama, lol.

Which reminds me. I've got to see if Clyde pooped overnight. If he has I can clean him and then hold him this morning. He's never pooped on me either. He always does it overnight.

And I almost forgot to mention when he stretches out from my hand and flicks my face. It's so awesome!

Old 05-26-2017, 12:37 PM   #9
Tavia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdalen View Post
Thank you Tavia

Do you find them to be nippy?

He did fine for the first few photos and then when I went to put my hand in there to put his hides in he did a jumpy popcorn thing haha. Cute little bugger that I figure it's about time we really got to know each other.
I've had a few bitey hatchlings and my adult female is so food fixated that I'm cautious getting out of her tank, give her time to figure out this is a handling event, not a feeding event, before I put my hands in reach of her. But in general they have been one of the least bitey species I've bred, even including most of my corn clutches. I seem to get a lot of corns with extra attitude though!

Old 05-26-2017, 03:20 PM   #10
Magdalen
Thank you everyone for your experiences. There isn't much out there haha. And if he does bite at least it won't hurt since he's so little.

DollysMom, your Clyde is what got me re-interested in house snakes I have a book that was published in 1998 that had a brief few pages about them and raved about what a great snake they are (plus a pretty pied example and a pretty red one). Anyway I always liked the look of them but this was the early 2000's when I got this book and my first snake so finding them wasn't as easy.

I keep looking at that one recent pic thinking he looks chubby, especially compared to those baby corns I saw at Petco last night, but he's not really.
I'll update as he grows.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google