CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > All "Others" Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

All "Others" Photo Gallery It was suggested to me that a photo gallery for the other critters and interests might be useful to the membership. So here you go, Walt. :)

Thor - albino Cape House Snake

Old 05-26-2017, 03:50 PM   #11
DollysMom
Aww. I'm glad that Clyde inspired you. Yeah, they are quite a different shape than corn snakes. Much rounder for starters. Your little Thor has a totally awesome pattern by the way.

Here's the only book I know that is devoted to House Snakes:

http://www.authorhouse.com/Bookstore...=SKU-000378858

I own a copy and while it is nice, and written by an experienced breeder, it is not as comprehensive as the Love or Soderberg books we have for corn snakes. I still think it is a worthy purchase.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:18 PM   #12
Magdalen
He does have some neat speckles that I hope don't fade too much.
Anyone notice if there is a certain pattern that more common in these guys?

I hope to get that book eventually. And when I have more space get a corn snake ��

Old 05-26-2017, 09:25 PM   #13
DollysMom
Cape house snakes can be without pattern, lightly patterned, more line like patterned or more boldly patterned like Thor is. They all have eye lines and if patterned the pattern fades about 2/3 down the body. Besides the morphs, the normals can be light caramel color to dark brown and nearly black. My understanding is that older individuals are generally darker. AFAIK from my reading there is no one more common pattern than another.

Corn snakes are different but are totally awesome. I hope you can get one. I love my corn snakes.

Edited to add:

Colour: Above, uniform light to reddish brown (often with reddish blotches on the anterior half of the body) or dark olive to black, especially in old specimens. There are 2 light stripes on either side of the head, 1 running from the tip of the snout across the upper half of the eye and sometimes continuing along the anterior third of the body, while the other runs from the lower half of the eye to the angle of the mouth. This characteristic distinguishes the Brown House Snake from all other South African snakes. The underside is yellowish to mother-of-pearl white. Juveniles may have indistinct spots or mottling dorsally.

Marais, Johan. A Complete Guide to the Snakes of Southern Africa (Kindle Locations 4266-4271). Penguin Random House South Africa. Kindle Edition.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:57 PM   #14
Magdalen
Wow great info thanks.
I'm hoping I can get a stacking set of cages so I'm not having tanks scattered all over my apartment haha. As it is I have room for just two 20 gallon longs. But if I can work something out that's reasonably priced then I'd think about a third. I would love an opal corn. Which would have been what I was originally going to start with. Now if I really had the room I'd get a Russian rat snake

And I was right! Thor just shed. Might explain why he was so jumpy. Well maybe not might. He was super curious about me when I went to get his old skin. I also notice that when I go to shine a little light in his tank when it's dark and I can't see he gets focused on the spot of light like a cat. The guy just does not refuse a meal and I can't tell he's about to shed.
And of course he likes to poop in his humid hide haha

Old 05-27-2017, 02:08 AM   #15
albertagirl
I looked at russian rats. They sound amazing. Too bad they're illegal where I live. Fortunately corn snakes are not, and I do have an opal. They're gorgeous! I like your taste in snakes. LOL

Old 05-27-2017, 01:26 PM   #16
Magdalen
Haha thank you! Your Solace is a beautiful snake. I was checking out his thread yesterday
I like what I've heard so far about Russian rats and while not illegal here they are harder to come by. Also it's a big snake, one of the few big snake I was looking at. But that's a snake that'll have to wait til I'm not renting

Old 06-02-2017, 01:56 AM   #17
Magdalen
Ok fair warning I'm going to gush here. OMG!!! I got brave and held Thor and totally melted. Most awesome thing ever. It went really well. He was a little jumpy at first but settled down after a little bit. We kept it short and sweet since I needed to meet with someone. But man oh man I can't wait to try again.
Eeeeee he's so cute and I'm in love haha

Old 06-02-2017, 03:45 AM   #18
DollysMom
That's awesome! Congrats.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:26 AM   #19
albertagirl
Melted. I so understand that feeling. Congratulations! That's awesome!

Old 06-02-2017, 11:53 AM   #20
Magdalen
He's got such a wonderful disposition. He's going to be a lovely snake once he grows out of his baby nervousness.

I did have to chase him a little, which I expected and he was a little flighty in hand when I first held him. But towards the end he relax enough that I could hold him outside his tank without him popping all over the place. I think it helped that he's so curious about everything.
Question, at this point how often should I try holding him? Other than feeding day and the two days following, of course.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google