CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

adult corn issue??

Old 06-29-2017, 11:52 PM   #1
lonlyknight15
adult corn issue??

Hello new here but have 4 corns 3 juvenile 1 adult just got the adult female but have a question about an area above her vent I do see where her body seems normal size then it thins out then she has like a fatty area above her vent will include picture. Also did a RI check and noticed her mouth was kind of grey? Was told it's do to her breading or morph any help please thank you.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:29 AM   #2
Twolunger
You said you just got the female. Did the prior owner say anything about her laying eggs just before you got her? That swelling resembles a retained egg. Feel the lump and if it is soft she may pass it, if it is indeed an egg. You can try soaking her in lukewarm water for 30 minutes, and give her plenty of exercise outside her container. If you have a way of squirting a small amount of vegetable oil into her vent, do it, but be gentle. You can check with your local pet shop or veterinarian's office. They sometimes sell small plastic feeding tubes attached to a syringe. The obvious option is to take her to the vet, but I would try the other things first. I just went through this with a female that laid eggs for the first time, and she couldn't pass the last egg. Sometimes their egg laying is interrupted, but they can resume laying. Mine was able to pass the large egg after I soaked her, put a half cc of oil in her vent, exercised her for a few hours and then rested her. Two days later she passed the egg.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:03 AM   #3
lonlyknight15
He never bread her gave her a bath lastnight and we'll she went to restroom all over the wife. But when I feel it,it's more a squishy under skin he said she hasn't been feed in 2 weeks

Old 06-30-2017, 11:32 AM   #4
Twolunger
Well, the good news is that it doesn't seem to be a bowel impaction due to the results of the bath. Your wife probably wasn't thrilled, but it eliminated one serious complication. If it is an egg you should feel it as you pass your fingers along the snake's belly. If you don't feel the lump along the belly it is probably something that a vet needs to evaluate. A female can lay eggs even though she was not with a male. however most of the time when that occurs there are several unfertilized eggs, otherwise known as slugs.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:40 PM   #5
zorro
Just one additional thing, if you feel you must give a bath (many don't recommend it) never in any water above or below 75-82. I have heard of a lot of deaths due to what you would call warm water is usually over 100. What a warm blooded animal would concider warm is way to much for a cold blooded reptile.
Good luck with your slug, hopefully it will pass with the next shed.
John

Old 07-02-2017, 10:20 PM   #6
Twolunger
Thankfully I've only had to give a few snakes a soaking, and used a thermometer to make sure the temperature was 80. I had a couple people tell me that their corns love a bath every once in a while. Mine hate the water and act like I'm putting them in scalding water.
80 degree water actually feels a little cool.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:30 PM   #7
zorro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
Thankfully I've only had to give a few snakes a soaking, and used a thermometer to make sure the temperature was 80. I had a couple people tell me that their corns love a bath every once in a while. Mine hate the water and act like I'm putting them in scalding water.
80 degree water actually feels a little cool.
It does to me to that's why I have to use one of those temp guns to check water temp if I have to soak some shed off.
John

Old 07-14-2017, 12:12 AM   #8
lonlyknight15
okay so after taking her to the vet come to find out she is fat the previous owner over fed her and now she has what he called hips other than that she's in perfect health and yeah she needs exercise

Old 07-14-2017, 10:08 AM   #9
Twolunger
Well that was good news.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:28 PM   #10
LadyJemima
Yep. Good ol' hips. Tango is in danger of getting them -- he's getting a LOT of exercise daily. His previous owner overfed him.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google