CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Do snakes sleep?

Old 04-12-2007, 01:50 PM   #1
MartiniGirl108
Do snakes sleep?

I guess this is probably a stupid question but, how do they sleep? They dont have eyelids that come down over their eyes so how do you know if their asleep?

I ask because sometimes, like now, I peek in on my Amel, (she is currently laying half in half out of her paper towel tube) and shes rolled up in ball, with her head kinda tilted to the side....how a human would lay their head on a pillow.

A few times, Ive gotten nervous and called her name, and after the second or third time, its like she wakes up and shell look up at me. Is that sleeping?

Old 04-12-2007, 02:43 PM   #2
tbtusk
I would say, yes, she's sleeping. My snakes will do that oo. Especially my ultra caramel. He'll sit with a few inches of his neck and head out of his house and if I'm moving around in the room or looking in at the cage he won't react. I think there are a few animals that don't sleep, but i assume they go into some sort of deep rest or something.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:13 PM   #3
Cuddles
When my snake went into his water bowl infront of me he was soaking his body with his head just laying ontop of the edge of the bowl. It was crazy, he wasnt moving or anything. So I wanted to see if he was sleeping. I put my finger infront of his head and got no reaction, moved it around some....still nothing. Then I touched him and he moved! I guess he was sleeping, eyes open and everything. It reminded me of the movie Major Paine, when he is sleeping with his eyes open, I was just waiting for my snake to launch at my finger.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:27 PM   #4
clipclopclip
I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong, for all of you more knowledgeable snake people) that the absence of tongue flicking usually means that your snake is asleep. And yes, they can sleep with their eyes open (they never close).

Old 04-13-2007, 05:32 PM   #5
dwyn127
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiniGirl108
They dont have eyelids that come down over their eyes so how do you know if their asleep?
She'll have little zzzz's over her head.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:18 AM   #6
MartiniGirl108
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwyn127

Thats helpful. Thanks.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:55 AM   #7
Okeetee_Corn_Snakes
Quote:
LMAO! LOL Aww thats kinda cute! Lily always falls asleep on my hand. I can tell because she is moving...then finds a comfy spot and just doesn't move anymore...even when I wave my hand in front of her. Maybe she is just tricking me and calling me a stupid human :P Wouldn't doubt it XD!

Old 04-16-2007, 08:56 AM   #8
Cuddles
Quote:
Only if your snake stars in an anime movie.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #9
FunnyFarmCritters
My grace doesn't always flick her tongue when she's out and about slithering around on us so I'm not sure about that theory mentioned above...

I have yet to find wee little zzz's lol!

Old 07-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #10
BSLMichael
I wouldn't call it a stupid question! All animals rest in some form or another. Sleep on the other hand...

To my knowledge all animals on *land* sleep. However, their are some sea creatures that don't, Rather they go into a state of rest (Jellyfish).

Snakes that are sleeping typically wont flick their tounge. Their breathing is slower and some hard sleepers won't react to anything untill you actually touch them... lol

Edit: Before someone tells me that rest and sleep are the same thing. They are not. You must first rest to fall asleep but you do not need sleep to rest.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google