• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Cornsnake Novice - Aggressive Behavior

keelygorski

Hello,

My daughter has wanted a snake for a long time, and we decided since we both know nothing about snakes to get a cornsnake since we heard they were the most docile and do not bite unless they mistake you for food. I even bought a book all about cornsnakes and have been reading it vigorously. We bought a baby cornsnake with an age estimate of about 2 months. When we got him home, he was fine and let us handle him ok, but this past week (we have owned him since Aug 1) he has had more aggressive behavior, and does not want us touching him at all. The book I had read said to try to handle them frequently so that they do get use to you, and it keeps them from getting hostile, but since Sunday he will strike (not bite) if we try to handle him, and he will even click his jaw. After reading some of the posts on this site, I have learned to leave him be for a few days, but how do I know when to start handling him again, and the best way to approach him so that his behavior gradually becomes more docile? My daughter is upset because she really wants to handle him but gets scared when he acts this way. Do I still try to pick him up even when he is aggressive to try to let him know that acting this way will not get him to be left alone? Or do I leave him alone and try again in a day or two? Do they bite, or have they been known to bite when they are aggressive, and does it hurt? I have always made slow and steady motions when approaching him so as not to scare him, but since I have cleaned his tank (fresh bedding and water), he just hasnt wanted to be bothered. I am not sure if that was the trigger? Any thoughts and guidance on how to pursue will be greatly appreciated. We really do enjoy our snake and want to make sure he is getting the best possible care we can offer.

Being bitten by a baby corn is nothing, trust me. Its a surprise, for sure, because they are quick, but its nothing to be afraid of. If it happens, you will laugh it off.

You simply need to be calm and gentle, but persistent in handling. Make sure you give the snake at least 48 hours after eating and some don't like to be bothered when they are ready to shed. They can't see as well when in blue and they can get defensive. Your baby may be going through its shed cycle now.

Just like kittens often scratch, baby snakes sometimes bite out of fear. You are a huge predator to them. Its best to take it in stride and maybe not let you daughter handle the snake at first. If you pick it up and it settles down, then let her hold it.

All snakes can bite. Cornsnakes normally are very docile and a good beginner snake. Keep in mind though - to a baby - sometimes your hand coming to pick it up can look like a predator so they may get defensive. And as Kathy stated, if it is going through a shed cycle it may be a little more aggressive than normal.
The best thing to do (other than when in shed) is to continue to handle the snake even if it is being a little aggressive or bitey. The only way they will get past that and used to the handling is to continue to do so and not "reward" them by putting them back if they do bite. Normally, with continued handling they will tame down just fine.

How can I tell if he is in a shed cycle? Are there signs to look for? His skin seems intact. Thank you for the advise thus far, I will continue to try to handle him and not be apprehensive myself. Since we are new to caring for snakes, it is scary when you arent sure what to expect.

With the shed cycle the snakes color will usually get more dull and for a short time period (sometimes you can miss it) the eyes will actually cloud over.

You know your snake is in shed cycle by the way it looks/acts.
One sighn that your snake is shedding is if it hides more than usual..
Another sighn that your snake is shedding, is that its colors get dull. You absolutley know for sure that your snake is in shed process if it is in blue (we use this term when the snakes is a white-ish sheen and the eyes are murky blue color). It takes about the snake a week or so to complete the shedding process. You will love how your snake looks in its new skin :D

Yes, he doesnt appear to be shedding at this time, but I will look more closely when I get home. He stays all the time in the ledge on the top of the tank between the glass and the screened lid. But when he isnt there he is under his plant. Since we have had him, I have never seen him out in the open, just in these two spots.

Corns can get antsy if they're too hot. What are the cool and warm temperatures on the floor of the tank?

So far everyone has given good advice. One thing about the shedding though is that it can be harder to tell depending on the color of your snake. My bubblegum has light pink eyes and red pupils and a rather light colored body. It takes longer for me to notice her being in blue because for one thing her eyes do not get bluish but get white in the finial stages of her shed cycle. I can tell much sooner when my other normal colored snake is in blue. Also after going into blue they will become clear again and look as if they may have shed but they really haven't. After going back to clear it only takes a day or two more usually to shed.

Also baby snakes tend to be more flighty and scared and more likely to bite. My baby is nearly 4 months old now and has bitten me twice but you can't even feel it. You are more likely to harm the little snake during a bite than it is to harm you. If it bites you, please do not jerk your hand away or you could rip their tiny teeth out.

When getting your baby out don't be so slow. No matter how it is acting just reach in and grab him or her and they will get over it. I notice with my newest baby that if I take my time and give her ample time to notice me she gets more aggressive and runs from me. But if I just reach in and grab her she has no time to show all her bluff. Once out in my hands it takes a minute or so and she clams down. But not as calm as my grown snakes.

Just give your baby time and as it ages it should calm down.

P.s.
My new baby is the first aggressive snake I've owned even as a hatchling (which is really odd the others where so calm). But I've only ever had three snakes. The baby isn't too bad. She bit me once while I had to assist her shed and once when my nephew was around and she did not like him. Rattled her tail and everthing! She also rattles her tail if I get too close while feeding but other than that and pretending to be a viper in her cage she is not a hateling. Hopefully your baby is just displaying the normal baby behavior and will out grow it.

Thank you Winged, the information you gave me is very helpful. I hadnt read the section in the book on shedding, so its good to read about it some one here. Especially since my baby is pink and white and has red eyes. When I get home, I will try to go more quickly and just pick him up and get it over with. With reading everyone say the biting doesnt hurt, it helps a great deal.

I know how you feel Keelygorski, Ive a new baby, and I thought My old baby (now an adult) was a handful.
I dont understand my new snake at all, she is aggressive at a drop of a hat, and spends most of her time on her (hot) side of the tank, though its a set up so she dosent burn herself, the undertank heater by way of didgial temp, is 79 to 80, Under the bedding.

Ive had her try to eat my hand once, (after Ive washed my hands compleatly, with dawn soap) no it didnt hurt, just scared the bajeezes out of me. and then went on to juggle her as she tried to flee after she snatched a F/T pinky that I had in a cup.. in my other hand, and accually had her Eat that mouse in my hands..

the most advice I can give you.. is just close your eyes and go for it. she will get better, and if she dosent, then you might have to get a new snake for your daughter. but I do believe she will get better, my first snake wasent as feisty as this one is, but she WAS feisty too.. but now I let my sisters 3 year old son hold her. (Properly supervised ofcorse)

good luck.

Well, great news, no aggressiveness tonight, no hostility. He let me take him out and hold him. So we played for about 30 minutes. He yawned a couple times, and kept opening and closing his mouth. His jaw also clicked a few times. I did discover that he most have regurgitated his pinky. We fed him sunday after cleaning the tank, and did not handle him until yesterday (tuesday). I am not sure if that is when it happened. I also think he maybe shedding, his eyes looked milky, so I am going to do some reading on how to really tell since he is very light (pink and white). But thank you for all the advice, it has really helped.

It's usually pretty hard to tell when a light hatchling is going to shed. It took me a long time to figure it out on my first corn. Generally the aggression is not really aggressive behavior, he's just scared and trying to scare you away so you don't eat him.

When you say his jaw is clicking and he yawns alot... Does he have nasal discharge, and is he lethargic? I have never heard my snakes "click," nor have they really yawned. My ball python has when he's our roaming, but... I can't ever recall a time when my corns have done it, except to reset their jaws after feeding. If he does have nasal discharge, take him to a vet, he's probably got a respiratory infection.

As for the regurge, don't feed him again for 10 days, and you might want to buy some Nutribac from Kathy Love to put on his dinner. There are a lot of threads on regurging, just do a search and you can find some guidelines. Pretty much just wait 10 days, then feed small meals. I usually feed a head, then 5 days later another head, then 5 days later half a pink, 5 days later another half.

I've seen my corns yawn a few times when they are going throw a shed cycle. I think the skin must feel tight or something. But I haven't heard of clicking before. Sometimes my snakes sneeze when they get water or something up their nose but they only do it once and it doesn't sound like a click to me. So it would help if you told us what clicking means.

If your snake has it's mouth open a lot and you hear the clicking or popping sound I agree that it may be a respiratory infection.

Did you ever find out if your snake for sure had a regurge? This could also be a sign of sickness.

I am not sure if it was a definite regurge. I spotted it on Wednesday in the corner of his tank, and it was a pile of grey 'mush' when I looked at it closer, it was the shape of the pinky, and smelled horrific. When I looked at the snake, he didnt have the belly bulge where the pinky usually would be, but instead just a small 'grey' spot where I guess some of it had stayed in his stomach?

As for the clicking, the noise sounds like trying to sound out the letter 'C'... a faint 'cuh' is the only way I can think to explain it. When I held him on Wednesday he yawned a couple of times and once had a little 'spit bubble' from his mouth, not nose. Then he did that 'cuh' about 4-5 times. After I held him for about 10 minutes it did stop, but I did have fear of respiratory infection. I have kept his tank super clean, fresh water everyday, cleaned the 'regurge' (if that is what it was) as soon as I spotted it. So I really hope he isnt sick. :-( I make sure his heat and cool temps are in range (usually they hold at 72 for cool and 80 for hot), and humidity stays above 40%. I will occasionally turn the heat lamp on to get it a little warmer or give him basking time, but he usually goes under his plant when I do. Most of the time he will stay on the ledge at the top of the tank right next to the screen lid, other times under his plant. He seems to be doing really well. Since I got the information on here about the regurge, I have not handled him at all, only been in his tank to change water, and plan on doing the pinky head on Sunday or Monday which will be around 8 days since his last feed.

If you see anything else that I need to do, or that I am doing wrong, please let me know. I am really wanting to give him the best care he needs, and since I am new I don't want to do anything that could potentially harm him, and not be aware that I am doing so.

Thanks!

Clicking can signify a respiratory infection but it can also just be a scary side-effect of the shedding process.

You clearly are trying to look after this little guy as best as possible, and I don't know if anyone has got across how serious a regurge is... You need to be really careful now and follow a 'regurge protocol' very strictly. Sadly, it might be best not to handle again for a few days, just to ensure there is as little stress on him as possible. However when you do start handling again, there's no shame in you or your daughter wearing gloves - not because a bite would hurt, but just to boost your own confidence.

Just one thing niggling at me is wondering whether or not the mouse was too large and that's what caused the regurge. Of course it could be stress, illness, handling or a number of other things but, how long does the lump stay around for after feeding? If it's a substantial sized lump for more than 3 days, it's possible that the food item could be too large.

Just a thought... If of course you meant that you can see the lump in the belly because he is sort-of see-through, then ignore that completely!

Let us know how you get on when you try to feed him - a pinky head only! - in another 10 days. Good luck.

I will follow the protocol very strictly, and take it very seriously, I definitely do NOT want anything to happen to my little guy, we care about him very much! Thank you everyone for the help. It has been great the amount of information you have given me.

I am not sure if it was a definite regurge. I spotted it on Wednesday in the corner of his tank, and it was a pile of grey 'mush' when I looked at it closer, it was the shape of the pinky, and smelled horrific. When I looked at the snake, he didnt have the belly bulge where the pinky usually would be, but instead just a small 'grey' spot where I guess some of it had stayed in his stomach?

Probably. Regurges smell like rotten flesh, but poop smells kind of like ammonia. Little snake poos don't really smell too much though, so if it smelled horrible and like really bad meat, then it's a regurge.

Keep us updated on the little guy!

I kind of skimmed through this so I am sorry if this has already been said but do as everyone has suggested the advice here is spot on. I would also add that I never handle my corn during what I consider stress times: within 4 days after a feed(I really like to see a poop before I will handle after a feed) or when it is in blue or anytime after and before the actual shed. I also do not feed during a shed cycle either. Lastly I would suggest that you have two good hides on both the cold and warm side of the tank. When you do start to handle the snake drop your cupped hand over it then scoop it up this seems to be the lest stressful way to get the snake. Or if the snake is out and about and receptive slide your finger under midbody and lift up. Do not grab the snake around its head or tip of tail or pick it up between pinched fingers. Calm and assertive seems to be the best way to go.

Thanks for the advice, Charlie. My snake is light pink and white (you can see pics on my profile) so I am having a hard time to tell with the shed process. I havent handled him until a couple days after eating in the past (fed sunday, handled on tuesday). When I went to handle him on tuesday that was when he was hostile, so I left him alone and when I checked on him wednesday, that was when I saw the regurge. Since then I have left him completely alone and will be following regurge protocol. This process of owning a snake has been tough, and I have tried to do everything right. I purchased a book that was all about cornsnakes, and what they have said has been very misleading, and I think may have caused the problems that I am having. They said to handle the snake frequently and often, but failed to mention, when you just get them to be hands off for a while. So we have gone about trying to handle him often, when we probably should have left him alone. We have been hands off since wednesday when I took him out to clean the regurge, and he was perfectly fine and loving then. But I really do want to make sure I do right by him because my daughter and I have already grown so attached. Thanks again for everything. We wont be handing our baby until we complete the regurge protocol, and I will keep you updated.

Back