• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Hognose arrived!

Magdalen

So after a month of waiting my hognose arrived. He's a year old and at about 90g. I need to get decent pics when he isn't stressed from just getting shipped and he gets to be more comfortable with me.

And no name yet.

Attachments

• hog1.jpg
    hog1.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 79
  • hog2b.jpg
    hog2b.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 79
  • hog3b.jpg
    hog3b.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 79
  • hog4b.jpg
    hog4b.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 80
Oh he was definitely curious about me but at the same time a little scared. That second picture was when I moved and he tried to bury himself in the cup. I'd back off and he'd poke his head out again. When I left the house he had settled, buried on the cool side. :)

OMG he's got the cutest face. <3

So tempting to want to hold him but I know he needs to be left alone. UGH almost as bad as when I was told not to touch the day old foal. That was a hard one haha.

Congratulations on your new little guy! He's adorable! The struggle to not handle them and let them adjust is never easy.

Whatta CUTE little munchkin you have there!!! That is one cuddly-looking little fella! Have you decided on a name yet?

Well I haven't gotten to know his personality yet. I feel like he might be a little shy. Other than that I have no idea for his name.

Ok I'm going to be one of those snake moms for a moment haha. Ok so after he explored his new home for 10 minutes he buried himself on the cool side and hasn't moved since. That's fairly normal right? When should I try feeding?

Totally normal. My little hoggie curls up in the cool side corner behind some fake leaves all the time. It's her preferred sleeping and digesting spot.

You can try feeding whenever you feel comfortable. At 90g he should probably eat every 5 to 7 days. They have really quick metabolisms in comparison to other species. Hopefully your little dude takes frozen thaw. My little 24g worm demands live sacrifices haha.

Breeder said he takes F/T. So here's hoping :) Last time I tried F/T with my sand boa I ended up, I think, cooking it... a little... either way it smelt funny.

This morning I found him out in the open. He looked at me like, "Yeah this is what I do." and just hung out. Got a quick measurement of about 18 inches. I did it from the other side of the glass. I'm going to see how he's doing in a few days in regards to food.

When I thaw things, I put them in plastic containers, or plastic bags, depending on their size, and float them in hot water until warm.

It sounds like your little guy has quite the personality! He sounds like a real doll.

Thank Eavlynn I'll give that a try.

So far he seems to be :) That's what I liked about the hognose I saw at the pet store. S/He was the few to be out and about and cruising around and gave me a look. Not I'm hungry going to eat you look, but something else. Curious I guess is the best way I can describe it. That's what attracted me to them. End up with a hognose instead of a corn.

Hoggies are diurnal, so they're far more active during the day than other species. Even my corns prefer to hide during the day and usually only come out at night. I look forward to future posts and pics of your little guy!

Sooooo his maybe name right now is Apollo. There's this big red horse that I know named Apollo, who's sweet and kind of a doofus. I think it works for this guy unless I figure out something better.

Yeah I am going to try offering food tomorrow morning, since I don't have to feed the horses in the morning. (yay, get to sleep in) I'll probably just plop it in there and leave him alone.

I'm unsure how he's going to react to me being around during the day. Today when I got home he was out, gave me the stare down and then buried himself again. So he's tucked in for the night.

Back