CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

cuddling corn snakes

Old 12-14-2004, 08:33 AM   #1
darkpbstar
cuddling corn snakes

Does everyone here with more than one corn in the same viv cuddle together. I just got my second one two days ago, and the first day they seemed like they were just staying away from eachother and stuff, next thing I know, they are all cuddled up in the cold hide box, it was really cute. Anyway, do your guyses cuddle up together, or am I a lucky one?

Old 12-14-2004, 11:29 AM   #2
penny
my baby girls cuddle up too. very sweet. sometimes if i want to pick one of them up i have trouble untangling them.

Old 12-14-2004, 11:43 AM   #3
norbert03
they'll cuddle now...

but tomorrow one will eat the other! aaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! i would never let my hatchlings cuddle.

dugsy

Old 12-14-2004, 12:36 PM   #4
Itsnowingcorns
Mine also cuddle. I read somewhere that it is not because they like eachother particularly but they enjoy eachother's body temperature and can tolerate eachother.

Old 12-14-2004, 01:42 PM   #5
cornman1979
you mean something like this?

Mine are often found like this and i havn't had a problem with canablism, but i know it can and does happen.

Old 12-14-2004, 02:36 PM   #6
Alias47
Cornsnakes do not have a reputation for preying on other snakes in the wild, although I am sure it does happen in given situations...I would have to deduce that most acts of cannibalism in captive cornsnakes is due to feeding...either through mouse smell remaining on one of the snakes...or feeding response being high enough to attack a cagemate.

Personally I wouldn't keep snakes together unless breeding them...but I have spoken with a Kingsnake breeder who keeps KINGS together...their main prey in the wild IS other snakes...but he keeps them together from birth...feeds separately and OFTEN...and has never had one cannibalize another.

Old 12-14-2004, 06:47 PM   #7
darkpbstar
yea, I'm glad to hear that other people keep snakes together, you just have to take the proper precausions, although, I guess nowmatter how you take care of them, there will be those mean ones. Yea the guy where i get my snakes from has alot of corns together, he sais when he brings them up from around 1 year old, they are fine, it might be harder bringing two five year old snakes together or soemthign of that sort. yea it really is cute though when they are curled up and stuff, and that picture looks really cool too cornman, those are nice looking snakes, I'm glad yours get together ok too.

Old 12-14-2004, 07:22 PM   #8
cornman1979
thanks darkpbstar
The pic was taken after 48 hour's of being in together, they seem to hit it off streaght away. I wil be seperating them though come breeding sesion a the snow really is to young to breed, and i don't want anything happening to her.
As long as proper precaution's are in place nothing should happen, just make sure the snakes are fed seperatly and have 30mins after swallowing before being put back in together, and that their a close enough size to avoid canablism.

Old 12-14-2004, 09:04 PM   #9
darkpbstar
yup, sounds good to me, and I have two females so I dont' have to worry about breeding, so that's good.

Old 12-14-2004, 09:28 PM   #10
IguanaMama
I've had my two for a month. They are clutchmates and I house them together. I have 5 hides and two really neat hollow logs with large holes that are meant for rodents, but they seem to really like them. I also keep the aspen bedding really deep, it slopes so they have plenty of burrowing opportunity.

The point is that they have LOTS of places to go and can really get away from each other if they wanted to, but they are usually together. I just poked my head in and they were both intertwined and moving around together on one of the logs. They usually share the same hide, no matter which hide. They occasionally burrow, and I left up their container to see them wrapped together all the way on the bottom.

They are only 3.5 months old, so maybe it has something to do with being young...strength in numbers??? I plan on separating these two later on as they are opposite sex and I don't want her breeding too young. My GUESS (guess only please note) is that when they are mature, they are more solitary but as young 'uns they are ok with each other's company (as long as they aren't too hungry).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google