CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

View Poll Results: Is it ok to house 2 corns together?
Only if they arent both males 11 5.88%
Yes! never had a problem 41 21.93%
No! I've had problems 86 45.99%
Depends on the "personality" of the snakes 49 26.20%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Is it ok to house two snakes together?

Old 08-08-2007, 09:55 AM   #71
Duff
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr73
Cannibalism is the best reason not to keep them together. Period the end. If you love your snakes why would you want one to eat the other they have it die from eating to big a meal. If you want snakes to die just bash there heads together and get it over with.
I'm all for individual housing, but can we back off the cannibalism risk a bit. Seriously, every case I've heard of is directly related to poor feeding practices. The recent pic and story that was posted, I asked what the circumstances were, and the OP there never responded. Based on the story and pic, I'm willing to bet it's because he was group feeding (which puts the incident on him, not the snake). Corns are not cannibalistic, they are opportunistic. This is just a pet-peeve of mine that cannibalism keeps being used as the biggest risk, when it's really more likely your corn will be struck by lighting. Especially if you follow safe and responsible feeding practices with your hatchlings.

And on another note, since you've uncovered the real meaning of life, Annihilation, I shall begin construction of the Church of Annihilation. Can you send me a few pics so I can also get started on the big bronze and gold statues for worship?

Old 08-08-2007, 10:17 AM   #72
Corny Noob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annihilation-
*sigh* well...i tried to argue it...but really i guess there is no arguing it...i honestly do belive that most animals, not just reptiles are a bit smarter than precived, though others obviously may not. i suppose that is how most things are, no one can see things the same way. i guess since there is no real way to prove anything of this side of the debate then there is no use trying. i suppose its better left that way anyway

Lies I already tapped into the secret of corn intelligence and you know it

Old 08-08-2007, 12:19 PM   #73
Annihilation-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff

And on another note, since you've uncovered the real meaning of life, Annihilation, I shall begin construction of the Church of Annihilation. Can you send me a few pics so I can also get started on the big bronze and gold statues for worship?

lol, thats a conversation that one of my friends and her friend had...i rather like it personalty lol

and sure ^^ ill post pics sometime next century- asap

Old 08-08-2007, 04:16 PM   #74
dr73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff
I'm all for individual housing, but can we back off the cannibalism risk a bit. Seriously, every case I've heard of is directly related to poor feeding practices. The recent pic and story that was posted, I asked what the circumstances were, and the OP there never responded. Based on the story and pic, I'm willing to bet it's because he was group feeding (which puts the incident on him, not the snake). Corns are not cannibalistic, they are opportunistic. This is just a pet-peeve of mine that cannibalism keeps being used as the biggest risk, when it's really more likely your corn will be struck by lighting. Especially if you follow safe and responsible feeding practices with your hatchlings.

You have seen pics of corns that ate other corns right you said so in your post. Now show me a pic of a corn that was struck by lightning. Do you have a pic? It may be a pet peev of your but cannibalism does happen. So.............. and as far as Annihilation goes she is 19. I and I am sure everyone here new everything at 19. She will not listen to the facts. Maybe when she is 30 she will make a post and tell use just how wrong she was.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:17 AM   #75
gelshark
The part about snakes only liking other snakes when they are horny - doesn't that show that they are thinking if they exhibit the "like" response? Or are they just acting on instinct to mate, which means that they don't have to really like the other snake while having sex (or even the sex itself) just that they are inclined to by their reaction to instincts?

Old 08-22-2007, 09:38 AM   #76
uberalice
"Like" is an anthropomorphic term. Unless we can be directly told by another organism that it feels an affection for us, it's all stipulation. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to believe that my pets like me, even my Bliz, but it's all assumption. We can't say for sure.
When snakes interact with each other during mating season I am much more apt to believe that it's hormones triggering the behavior than any other factor. There is some level of mate selection in many organisms (choosing the best mate based on factors like plumage color, mating display, etc), but when we breed animals in captivity they don't really get to pick their dates. I think hormones just take over, provided the snakes don't interact so badly that they refuse to mate.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:52 AM   #77
Corny Noob
The only reason I used the word like is because it's hard to describe an action occuring without using human words to attach feeling to the subject.
Mating is purely procreation, passing on their genes, the females pheremones drive the guy wild and he is driven into a tizzy to go after such a female because she will be less likely to beat the crud out of him if he tries to mate with her. It's just instinct, that's all.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:58 AM   #78
uberalice
I understand. I catch myself using the term too. But back when I was a wee zoologist one of my very first classes had a prof who drilled it into our heads to be aware of anthropomorphism, and it stuck to me. On the other hand, I'll refer to flatworms as "Cutiepants" and name the amphipods living inside the fish tank, so maybe I've just misappropriated my terms.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:16 AM   #79
snakewispera snr
When I went to Bristol on Sunday to pick up some new snakes,a guy came into the shop. As I had to chat with Andy (the shop person) I let this guy go ahead of me, he was picking up an adult male corn. As he was handling it he remarked, it was to keep another of his corns company as it was lonely.When I asked him if he intended keeping them together he said yes. then I asked him what sex the other snake is,he said male. Two adult males in the same tank! His wife could tell by the look on my face something was wrong. I tried to explain he was making a bad choice,but he just said, It'll be o.k. I asked him how long he had the other snake, he said a month. i asked him how long he had kept snakes, guess what,a month.
I had to stop talking to my new found expert (after 1month) friend as I still hadn't paid for my collection and we still had to talk money.
There's an old Welsh saying ** you can lead a horse to water,but you can't teach a duck to suck eggs** (I just made that up, It's not Welsh)
MIKE *cymru am byth* thats Welsh

Old 08-26-2007, 06:16 PM   #80
woodz61
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakewispera snr
When I went to Bristol on Sunday to pick up some new snakes,a guy came into the shop. As I had to chat with Andy (the shop person) I let this guy go ahead of me, he was picking up an adult male corn. As he was handling it he remarked, it was to keep another of his corns company as it was lonely.When I asked him if he intended keeping them together he said yes. then I asked him what sex the other snake is,he said male. Two adult males in the same tank! His wife could tell by the look on my face something was wrong. I tried to explain he was making a bad choice,but he just said, It'll be o.k. I asked him how long he had the other snake, he said a month. i asked him how long he had kept snakes, guess what,a month.
I had to stop talking to my new found expert (after 1month) friend as I still hadn't paid for my collection and we still had to talk money.
There's an old Welsh saying ** you can lead a horse to water,but you can't teach a duck to suck eggs** (I just made that up, It's not Welsh)
MIKE *cymru am byth* thats Welsh
Is that the Reptile Zone? in Filton?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google