CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Who houses their Corns together?

Old 09-02-2005, 05:21 PM   #51
rhinecat
Mostly off topic:

ScottyK, are those branches just propped in the corners, or are they anchored in some way? I want to put branches in my tank just like that, but Deianira knocks them askew no matter how well I think I have them wedged into the tank.

Old 09-09-2005, 04:37 PM   #52
Dragon
were your canabalistic hatchlings of the same clutch?

Old 09-09-2005, 06:52 PM   #53
Taceas
This whole thread makes me twitch. To see smart people do some pretty dumb things. To each their own, I agree with that. But like Cav said, animals don't get to choose their caretakers. If something goes wrong, the animal is hurt or dead and you're out some cash.

Unlike Roy, who was man enough to admit his mistakes (kudos to Roy), I housed all of mine separately from the day I offically stepped into this hobby and had more than one snake. They each had their own viv and that is the way its been since 2000. The only time my snakes ever spend any amount of time together is when they're all tossed into a tub in the event of severe weather (packing 50+ boxes to the basement is a chore in limited amount of time), or when males and females get together to mate, or for picture purposes.

As Serp said there is no guaranteed method for sexing. Until they lay eggs, its up in the air IMHO. I am a great example of this. I bought a male snow in the Spring of 2003. I kept trying to get it to mate and it was always petrified of the females and more interested in the males. So I thought, nifty a gay snake. Until this year I saw it start to show the same signs as an ovulating female and I tried it out. She readily accepted the matings from 4 males and laid a total of 35 eggs this year. Some male.

I think the main reason most people over in Europe house their snakes together is simply they don't have the room most of the time. Unless you're incredibly wealthy in most cases, people don't own a house in the conventional sense of the word. They own or rent an apartment with limited space. But still, I think if you can't afford the space or money towards housing them separately then one shouldn't get more snakes, simply put.

If I can't afford another viv, I don't get another snake no matter how much I want to. That's being mature and educated. Buying impulsively and uneducatedly is gross negligence. Snakes are solitary animals. You don't see them slithering through the woods happily together. You see them curled up under a board or a log all by themselves.

If you can't afford another $40 for a viv and supplies, how are you going to afford a very expensive vet bill should something go wrong? All vets are expensive, and all reptile issues I've ever had to attend with a vet are doubly more expensive. Most people simply don't think of the worst case scenario right off the bat. Me, I'm a pessimist, so it comes naturally.

This whole discussion has been beat around the bush until the bush is almost dead. But to do informed research and asking for our opinions and then to put your snakes together is like the oxymoron of the snake world. There is a whole wealth of knowledge on this forum from people who've tried it in their more inexperienced days and shared their tales of woe. If bad things can happen to them, Murphy doesn't make distinctions it spits on everyone any chance he can get.

Yes snakes look beautiful draped over one another and the color palette goes wild! But they look even more beautiful when they're unstressed, healthy, happy, and alive.

I can only think of one reason to house snakes together: laziness. I can think of a whole bunch not to.

*steps off bucket*

Old 09-09-2005, 09:47 PM   #54
ScottyK
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinecat
Mostly off topic:

ScottyK, are those branches just propped in the corners, or are they anchored in some way? I want to put branches in my tank just like that, but Deianira knocks them askew no matter how well I think I have them wedged into the tank.

Sorry- Just saw this. You can get them locked in two different ways...

1- Aquarium cement: You need to take the snake out for 24 hours to do this, but the glue dries odorless and non toxic. It is also relatively easy to scrape it off with a razor if you decide to redecorate.

2- Wedge them in: To make this work, you need to leave the branch a bit long. If you are doing it right, you'll need to bend the branch and apply some force to get it in there. I usually do this if the piece is long enough to begin with, as they hold in place very well without glue. It helps that I live near the ocean and can walk the local beaches for more driftwood than I could ever use.

Hope this helps......

Old 09-20-2005, 09:37 AM   #55
SnowCorn87
If you don't have money for another viv why don't you just use a rubbermaid tub? I know of a lot of people who do that. Or just get a small plastic viv for now if its a hatchling. Thats what I did, its a 5gal and cost me $10 at the pet store. You don't need a huge elaborate setup at first.

Nick

Old 09-21-2005, 08:32 AM   #56
traf2006
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taceas
I think the main reason most people over in Europe house their snakes together is simply they don't have the room most of the time. Unless you're incredibly wealthy in most cases, people don't own a house in the conventional sense of the word. They own or rent an apartment with limited space. But still, I think if you can't afford the space or money towards housing them separately then one shouldn't get more snakes, simply put.
I think you should rephrase that!!!!
i live in the UK i own a HOUSE im not incredibly wealthy my house is not rented and it's not an apartment!
it's a house i have plenty of room if i wanted to split my corns up i could, but the fact is i prefer to house them together and IMO i think they like being together!
I think you should step of your high horse and stop preaching b/s about ppl in Europe!!!

Old 09-21-2005, 09:14 AM   #57
viktoria333
I own my house too and find that there isn't enough space for our kids,which was why in the first place I was making the decision to swap my water dragon for the amels,I was told by the chap that bred them that they would be fine together and was in fact keeping them in pairs as they "pipped".I didn't want to seperate a pair which was why I went for two.They have since been separated but can see each other in the viv set up.Every time I handle them,it is together and neither of them seem bothered by the other one's presence.Both have eaten for me with no problems,both have had good sheds,and poo a lot!If only I had a camera...you would see that my amels are fine,separate for now,and absolutely lovely!!!One very proud snake owner!!!Cheers!V

Old 09-21-2005, 10:12 AM   #58
Serpwidgets
Quote:
Originally Posted by traf2006
I think you should rephrase that!!!!
i live in the UK i own a HOUSE im not incredibly wealthy my house is not rented and it's not an apartment!
You're 18 and own your own house? When I was 18, everyone I knew was either heading off to the military or to college, or working at the local gas station.

Quote:
it's a house i have plenty of room if i wanted to split my corns up i could, but the fact is i prefer to house them together and IMO i think they like being together!
Yeah, especially the ones who eat their cagemates. They REALLY like being together.

Old 09-21-2005, 10:50 AM   #59
Taceas
Quote:
think you should rephrase that!!!!
I think you should step of your high horse and stop preaching b/s about ppl in Europe!!!
For the record, I said most people. I didn't say ALL. Most of the people I have met from either the UK or the rest of Europe don't have the priveledge of owning their own home. Why that is, I have no idea. I don't live there nor am I subject to the different incomes/taxes over there. And these are people from all age groups, for the record.

I heard a quote not too long ago: "If you go through life and expect to be offended by someone or something, you won't be disappointed".

I personally saw nothing wrong with what I said, and I think you must have taken it out of some sort of context. Last time I checked there was no rule for stating "an opinion", like you just did. Guess whats good for the goose isn't as good for the gander?

Quote:
IMO i think they like being together
Did you ask them for their opinions on the matter?

What I said wasn't offending to anyone in particular nor was it meant to be when I typed it. It was just a correlation that I have noticed the past few years concerning Europeans and their fondness for housing snakes together that generally do much better apart. Would you have felt better had I said "it must be in the water, that the European corns get along famously whilst our native American corns are cannibalistic in such situations"?

Its nice that you own a home, but like Serp wondered, how do you have the means to own a house at 18? I've just been finally able to purchase a house at 25, and even then I feel like I'm mortgaged to the hilt.

And you can feel offended at the following all you want, having the means to house your snakes separately and knowingly disregarding the risks, in my book constitutes sheer laziness and disregard for the safety of your 'pets', period. I'm sure a few do it for years with no problems. I like to err on the side of 100% safety and be assured that I'm not coming home to one less snake because I missed a feeding day.

If anyone needs to step off of their horse and apologize, I think its you.

Old 09-21-2005, 11:44 AM   #60
TripleMoonsExotic
Traf, do you keep your Beardies together?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google