CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

View Poll Results: How many corn snakes do you have?
1 268 46.21%
2-4 158 27.24%
5-8 46 7.93%
8-more 108 18.62%
Voters: 580. You may not vote on this poll

One pissed off corn snake

Old 05-03-2003, 06:24 AM   #21
woodworm
Sometimes one of my males is upset, when I try to put my hand in his cage. Then I put my hand down on the ground an move slowly. I'm noiseful with that hand so he nows I'm coming. When I reach him, I put my hand gently on him and if necessary I take him out. Looks like he's afraid when a hand comes from above.
So I try to come from the side.

Old 05-04-2003, 02:21 PM   #22
cusoon
Hallo,

How are your snake now? still so junpy. When I have my first baby corn, out of good heart, I also get right away a 80 gal. tank but after twe months I found it is more easy to have a smaller tank vor a baby, for it is easy to pick him up without stressing him in order to chase after him with your hand in a big tank.

So I got him a 15 gal. tank and buy myself a sub-adult for the big one . Plus on top of that I never pick up my snake, I always place the tank next to me whenever I want him to be out. I open the tank top, and wait till he himself climb up to the top and wanting to get out, then I place my hand next to the tank and he climb onto my hand right away. Maybe you should try my mathod, maybe this he will get use to you and find that you are a mean for him to comes out of his encloser.

Good luck

Old 05-04-2003, 09:26 PM   #23
cornsnakeguy111
Cool

dude, theres a few things that could be happening, one is you may not be feeding him enough, dont forget they grow and need more when they get bigger(i know ur not stupid) another thing is maybe theres shedded skin over his eyes to where he cant see whos there and hes just acting out of instinct. thats probably what it is. you should take him to a vet immediately to get him checked out. thanks bye

Old 05-18-2003, 11:36 PM   #24
NCSUjle
Reading all of the questions and feedback on this thread definitely relieved me quite a bit. One of my two corns definitely does not like me right now, but I guess if I employ everything I have learned here, that hopefully she will gradually begin to like me I am still definitely skittish.. probably more so than the snakes, since the female tried to bite me! hah

Old 09-29-2004, 11:53 AM   #25
zarozinia
The one thing that strikes me is that you have a small snake in a huge viv.Snakes like to feel secure, so it may not feel secure in such a large space. They can get stressed out in sich circumstances and stop eating.
A lot of people use small vivs when they are so young and increase the size of the viv as the snake grows.

Old 09-29-2004, 05:09 PM   #26
zarozinia
Ok I didnt have much time when I posted that last post and I have a bit to add.
Anything you can do to help make youre snake feel more secure might just help a bit and certainly shouldnt have any detrimental effects.
If it was my snake, I would place it in a smaller viv( maybe within the large one). I would cover 3 sides of its viv with dark card to help it feel more secure.I would make sure the viv isnt situated in a high traffic/draughty or hot area, just give it somewhere peaceful.

I wouldnt handle it much for a few weeks, giving it time to settle down a bit.I would handle it only during cleaning its viv initially, building up handling times to last longer, then increasing frequency.
If you are getting it out of its viv to feed it only then I would personally transefer it to its feeding area before you get its food out to defrost(assuming you use defrost), so reducing the chances that it will attack because it smells food.
I would follow all the advice on handling slowly but deliberately. I certainly wouldnt go getting the poor already stressed snake out of its viv daily just so I could have the pleasure of handling it. Give it a chance, try to determine the reason it might be stressed and work on that.
Best of luck and keep us posted.
Angi

Old 09-30-2004, 01:59 PM   #27
susyq
i have one snake that will let you do anything you want to in the tank and it just slithers off to the opposite ends, but if you go to pick her up the tail goes and so does the head, straight for you!!! so i guess i can just live with her as she is quite nice to look at and active most the time. i also have 7 others that are real docile, and ive just aquired a pair of cali kings that aint been handled ever theyre 4 now so its like dealing with a 4.5 foot hatchling lol

Old 09-30-2004, 02:01 PM   #28
susyq
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by susyq
i have one snake that will let you do anything you want to in the tank and it just slithers off to the opposite ends, but if you go to pick her up the tail goes and so does the head, straight for you!!! so i guess i can just live with her as she is quite nice to look at and active most the time. i also have 7 others that are real docile, and ive just aquired a pair of cali kings that aint been handled ever theyre 4 now so its like dealing with a 4.5 foot hatchling lol
oh and the other thing all mine spend most their time in the cool end of the tank, except when they go swimming in their water bowls!!!!!

Old 10-07-2006, 10:42 AM   #29
RedRaydin
Hatchling that rattles as well

My snake is typically skittish as well (my corn). Typically it is when I am taking him out with little or no light on in the room (which I have tried to stop doing, but its hard at night when you only have so much light in the room I keep him in). Anywayz he would get in his defensive and threaten to strike but wouldnt. He does rattle his tail against the astroturf a bit sometimes during those times but once you nudge him and stuff and slowly move around him he gets comfortable and allows you to handle him. Once being handled he's great and as mellow as could be. I think just as youngsters they need time to get used to you. Another thing may be he is associating your hand being in as feeding time. Do you feed him outside the cage? If you do not (I feed mine inside his cage) what I find useful is to use tongs to put his pinkies in and make sure I have as little of my hand as possible in the cage so he associates hand with being held and tongs with food. Other than that it will prob just take time from what I've read in here and talked to reps at petco about when purchasing.

Old 10-07-2006, 11:22 AM   #30
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaydin
My snake is typically skittish as well (my corn). Typically it is when I am taking him out with little or no light on in the room (which I have tried to stop doing, but its hard at night when you only have so much light in the room I keep him in). Anywayz he would get in his defensive and threaten to strike but wouldnt. He does rattle his tail against the astroturf a bit sometimes during those times but once you nudge him and stuff and slowly move around him he gets comfortable and allows you to handle him. Once being handled he's great and as mellow as could be. I think just as youngsters they need time to get used to you. Another thing may be he is associating your hand being in as feeding time. Do you feed him outside the cage? If you do not (I feed mine inside his cage) what I find useful is to use tongs to put his pinkies in and make sure I have as little of my hand as possible in the cage so he associates hand with being held and tongs with food. Other than that it will prob just take time from what I've read in here and talked to reps at petco about when purchasing.
Decent advice, but the original poster started this thread three and a half years ago... That snake probably escaped three years ago, and was replaced by a leopard gecko.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google