• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Cannibalism

Rich Z

Administrator
Staff member
When I am packing bulk shipments, I will normally cull out the ones from the stuff I set up for retail sales and just put all of those culls into 5 gallon buckets with a water dish. They are in there for no more than 24 hours. Well, this afternoon I was packing a shipment and looked into one of the buckets and saw what I thought was a dead and bloated corn snake. I was surprised it could have gotten so bloated so quickly. But when I took a closer look, here is what I saw:

cannibal.jpg

cannibal01.jpg

This doesn't happen often, but it DOES happen!

Ewww...it does look like he ate a couple! I've been hearing a lot lately that the cannibalistic corns end up dying because they ate too much. Do you know if this is really true?

ouch!
I wonder what it ate......(well yeah corns but what morph)

hope that litle guy does survive....

wow! thats was the first time i ever seen a corn eat another one well n this case 2 or 3 i guess this another reason not to keep 2 corns in the sname cage also.

well

I have 2 male corns a anery and amel That have been living together for 1 year now in a 50 gallon tank but when chrismas comes im gunna serprate them because after seeing that i got worried!

WOW!

I've had it happen only once (in my younger and frugal years when I kept clutches together) and was AMAZED how huge the hatchling got from one sibling. From photo#1, I'd have bet $1000 he only ate one snake. Then I saw the second. That's even more bloated than my recollection, AND mine ate a pinkie. Well, directly or indirectly, one of them had! For the record, I don't recall having a regurge, or losing the cannibal. Not that I wish to repeat the experience, but I keep much better records now, and could verify.

Maybe you can double his price and market him as "Hannibal!" :D

Hi Rich, just wondering if it's ok for me to use this pic on another site to show that cannibalism does happen. Its a thread on housing together so I thought that it would be appropriate!

Cheers, Rach x

just give hima pm i doubt he will care but make sure he does know you will use it

I have 3 young corns housed together and never a problem. # weeks ago for christmas I got a pair of Baby Brazilian Rainbow Boa's. Last week the day after feeding my male eat my female :( He has know be renamed El Diablo :angry01:

Back