CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

snake burrowing normal?

Old 03-15-2009, 01:48 AM   #1
momoneymoreci
snake burrowing normal?

I just got a juvenile corn snake about 3 weeks ago. At first he was using his 2 hides on the warm and cool side for about 1 week, but then he discovered burrowing. Now i barely ever see him anytime from the hours of 8am to 2am. He only comes out of the ground about once every 2 to 3 days as far as i have observed, to get water and to bask near heating pad or basking light. Young snakes are supposed to eat every 4 to 5 days, but sometimes he disappears around day 4 and wont come out till day 7, should i dig him out (which would be annoying to have to do) or is he okay going 7 days. He seems to be lively and in good health the little amount of time he comes out and promptly eats a meal when presented, any advice?

Old 03-15-2009, 05:10 AM   #2
Pasodama
Snake burrowing is, absolutely, normal... as is spending more time "snuggled in somewhere" vs. cruising about.

Feeding schedule of every 4-5 days, or every 7 days, is just fine. Usually will, of course, grow slower on a 7 day schedule (which is not a bad thing, am just making a mention).

Come feeding day, and if a snake is snuggled in somewhere (be it in a hide or under substrate), I will pull it out for feeding (I feed most of my snakes in feeding tubs).

Personally, I would not let the "annoyance", of having to pull a snake out from under substrate, keep you from feeding.
However, it is up to you as to whether you prefer keeping with the 4-5 day feeding schedule, or to have an every 7 day feeding schedule, or to alternate between 4-5 days & 7 days.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
anthony1991
Both of my snakes burrow all the time. It is normal. As far as feeding, I feed both of mine every 7 days and they have done well. I bought my kingsnake as a hatchling and he is now a little over three feet. My corn snake hasn't grown but I only had him for about three weeks but he is doing fine with a 7 day feeding schedule. It is up to you if you want to feed every 4-5 days or every 7. Pasodama said, feeding every 7 will make them grow at a somewhat smaller rate. I only decided to do it every 7 days because I hate sitting and waiting for the mice to thaw.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:06 PM   #4
Tang...
I'm a new snake owner & my Ivy has just started burrowing in the new Aspen bedding I got for her...i'm not the least bit worried but I would be if she had stopped feeding...Snakes aren't really sociable so i'm not surprised hes burrowing but I wouldn't worry too much, plus these guys know a lot of stuff about snakes...obviously lol... xD

Old 03-15-2009, 05:27 PM   #5
Caryl
All the advice you've gotten is good. I'd just like to add that some snakes become more visible as they grow. When they feel more secure, they're more willing to hang around where you can see them. Babies are snacks for many things in nature, and they often hide instinctively to avoid being eaten.

Another option - though admittedly not for all - is to position your viv so that you can see its bottom, assuming that the bottom is transparent. That way you get more snake-viewing time, and the snake still feels all snug and safe.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:04 AM   #6
kyle88ta
My snake burrowed under the aspen for the first three weeks I had him. Now the only time he burrows is after eating when we put him back in his enclosure. I guess she's feeling more secure in her environment.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:17 AM   #7
Ekul
As stated, burrowing is normal. Especially for the little guys, I think. As for digging him up, its up to you, but its ok to do.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:19 AM   #8
Em Wright
My 2007 girl loves burrowing, for the longest time she never used her hides, she just burrowed.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:19 PM   #9
animalhouse
My two babie Burrow But as of last night.. my little Amel Stripe has been poking her head out the hidey!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google