• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Should I take some of them away...

sfaoldguy

Well, this summer I started to raise my own mice with 4 females and 1 male. Ended up moving one of the females out with two other females and a male born of other mothers I hope lol. Things have gone really really well. Kind of too well.

I now have 4 tanks with 1 male and 3 females in each. About a week ago I had 50 born and had to move some older ones to an over flow tank to make room. In the last couple of days, 50 more were dropped. Right now I have 30 less than 24 hour old pinkies in one cage, 20 2-day old pinkies in another, 25 fuzzies in one cage and about 25 in the last. I am not sure the mothers can take care of that many pinkies at one time and I have at least 1 more mother about to pop in the next day or so.

Should I go ahead and freeze some of them, or how many is a max I should expect three mothers to be able to care for at one time?

wow! what a production you've got going there! Personally I'd cull out the fuzzy/hopper sized ones, because if the mice start to feel overcrowded they'll be more likely to start thinning out by eating the babies.

That's why I have a bearded dragon and a really big fish (bass) who will be perfectly willing to eat a few extras LOL

I was thinking about doing that. To make a difference with the pinkies, I would have to freeze 25 fuzzies though and move some of the pinkies from the other cages to be adopted. I do this a lot and it works really well. I only have one cage where the mothers will reject pinky adoption. The others run right over and clean them and direct the new babies to their tits.

If I take away some of the pinkies, I think I can get away with freezing less of them. Just really don't know.

I have a tegu, but he doesn't seem to like mise too well. My White's tree frog will put down a hopper in a matter of seconds though. LOL

WOW! I've had 1 male and 4 females in a tank for 2 months... and I've got a whole lot of NOTHING :cry:

SilentLore said:
WOW! I've had 1 male and 4 females in a tank for 2 months... and I've got a whole lot of NOTHING :cry:

It took a little over a month before they meshed and then it was on. Any time now, nature should kick in and you will have more mice than you ever imagined.

I was thinkin of havin mice for my snakes i was just wonderin how many pinks does a mother have and the time it has another litter cause right now i get 11 pinks a week. i wanted to know how many females would be good for that.

shaggy79 said:
I was thinkin of havin mice for my snakes i was just wonderin how many pinks does a mother have and the time it has another litter cause right now i get 11 pinks a week. i wanted to know how many females would be good for that.

I average around 11 pinkies per litter and each female has a litter every six weeks on average, so 2 cages with 1 male and 3 females each should do it.

Back