CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

What size are these?

Old 03-07-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
Spencer
What size are these?

Sorry, When I bought them the descrioption is in Japanese. I cant seem to find a picture that gives me a proper comparison.

Maybe you can help. I included a bottle cap just for a size comparison.

The second picture...uhm... The mouse in the forefront is in a weird position so it looks biogger than it is, Its kinda half back and half side.
at first I thought The first picture was fuzzies, but now I am not sure.... because I think the second picture is weanlings.... but if the first pic is fuzzies, then the second could be hoppers, because (at least from the store I got, It was the next size up.) But then, My fuzzies could be rat maybe, because they are chubby. ah...confusing much

Old 03-07-2014, 10:48 PM   #2
AliCat37
Look like mouse fuzzies to me
The real question is how much they weigh. If they weigh too much, just cut them in half.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:13 AM   #3
Nanci
How much do they weigh? They look like peach fuzzies and fuzzies or hoppers. Mice, not rats.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:42 AM   #4
kc261
The first picture I would call peach fuzzies, because it looks like they have fur, but it is still very short and doesn't fully cover them. In the second picture, it is harder to tell, but I'd guess small hoppers.

Words like "fuzzy" and "hopper" describe a point in the development of the mouse. Although most fuzzies are reasonably consistent in size, there can be a significant variation depending on the genetics as well as the size of the litter and other factors. What really matters to your snake is the size, not the stage of development, so if you are unsure, you may want to get a scale.

Until you get the scale, or if you just find it easier, you can judge how much to feed by feeding a prey item that is the same width or a little larger (up to 1.5x) as the widest part of the snake. It should leave a visible lump in the snake when it has eaten, and it should digest quickly enough that there is no remaining lump by 48 hours. Most of the time I can't see a lump by somewhere around 24-36 hours.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:18 AM   #5
Spencer
I Actually have a scale. Left here By the previous occupant. I can't touch Roxy now as she is out of her hide and I want her to feel comfortable with being out, and not being bothered. I'll do some weighing on feed day. These fuzzies though, are about 3-4 times bigger than pinkies and fat....are you guys sure they are mice? To be honest, they are about the same width as the hoppers....just smaller length wise.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:39 PM   #6
kc261
Based on Rodentpro's website, mouse pinks are about 1.5-3 grams. Mouse peach fuzzies go up to about 4.5 grams and fuzzies up to about 7 grams. In contrast, rat fuzzies are about 13-20 grams. Rat fuzzies are huge in comparison.

From your picture, I can't be 100% sure, but a decent jump in size from pinks to fuzzies is normal. That's why a lot of keepers will go through a stage where they feed 2 pinks before moving up to 1 fuzzy. If that bottle cap is about the same size I'm assuming it is, then I'm fairly confident those are mice.

You can look at pics on this page that give a quarter to compare to, but I'm not sure how familiar you are with the size of a US quarter, so not sure how helpful it will be to you:
https://micedirect.com/index.php?mai...index&cPath=21

Old 03-08-2014, 02:42 PM   #7
TyeW
First pic is small fuzzies, second is small hoppers IMO.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:11 PM   #8
Spencer
Very familiar with a us quarter, they are the same size as Canadian ones, which is Where I'm from.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google