CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

best bulk mice supplier

Old 10-25-2016, 05:58 PM   #1
elsita
best bulk mice supplier

i want to by bulk frozen mice but dont know if there is a recommended supplier.
so if there are suppliers that i should try or avoid, i don't want to expensive but i understand cheap isn't always good. right now i am getting 4 pinkies at a time for about 1 dollar each.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:02 PM   #2
axis1
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsita View Post
i want to by bulk frozen mice but dont know if there is a recommended supplier.
so if there are suppliers that i should try or avoid, i don't want to expensive but i understand cheap isn't always good. right now i am getting 4 pinkies at a time for about 1 dollar each.
That's actually not a horrible price if you have like 1 hatchling. When Lilly's clutch first hatched I had 16 new snows (a literal BLIZZARD!) to feed and tried Mac's Reptiles since after shipping 100 pinkies came to about .49 cents each! The cons were, I couldn't request or get xs or newborns and it was a mixed bag, the bottom of it filled with like 50-60 little limbs, tails, etc. While I read that that is a normal by-product of receiving a frozen shipment, virtually ALL of the pinkies appeared whitish with little off-white spots which I believe were freezer burn. The positives were, the dry ice kept everything appropriately frozen even for another day or two had I been out or away and none of the rodents seemed to cause any negative reactions from my hatchlings. While I had three stubborn non-eaters, who later on began to eat (like almost TWO MONTHS later!) it is difficult to say whether or not that was attributable to the quality of Mac's mice. The other hatchlings all ate them and none ever regurged as a result.

I'm currently also looking for a supplier as I have 6 hatchlings left from Lilly's second clutch, going on two months old at this point. They all hatched out relatively LARGE for hatchlings (between 9 and 11 grams each!) and you'd think there was HAMBURGER in the water here or something!! Strange considering I always use NYC tap water! The best in the country, if not the world! (My opinion, but the proof is in the pudding - or hatchlings)!! In any case, even Mac's is better than paying $1.50 or $2 a pop to feed my babies every 5 days!! That's like $50-60 a month at this point! Problem is I've been busier than a cucumber in a convent!!

Anyhoo, I guess it all depends upon your situation. Good luck!

Old 10-28-2016, 06:59 AM   #3
kdickens
There are several great suppliers out there. You may get several different answers! I use Perfect Prey. No problems, good product.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:11 AM   #4
jp8899
rodentpro.com I buy all my feeders from them. My last order was 500 various sized mice and it cost me $185 with shipping. They regularly run sales and shipping is $29. they pack very well and use dry ice.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:43 AM   #5
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp8899 View Post
rodentpro.com I buy all my feeders from them. My last order was 500 various sized mice and it cost me $185 with shipping. They regularly run sales and shipping is $29. they pack very well and use dry ice.
I got 850 of all sizes but it was $340 with shipping since I didn't take advantage of some of the sales (I try to use hairless when possible). Still, I did get peach fuzzies and fuzzies for $0.19 each which is pretty good, and I'm pleased with the packing. Only complaint was that the peach fuzzies especially smelled of mouse urine, but the babies don't seem to care!

Old 10-28-2016, 09:33 AM   #6
daddio207
I've bought from a few different suppliers over the years. Mice Direct always gave great customer service and the products were of high quality but I got tired of all the broken bags in shipment. I know they switched to heavier closeable bags but for me I use the entire contents at each feeding and some still broke in shipment. Also separating the mice meant a few always broke in half.
Big Cheese Rodents always has flat rate shipping of $29. What I really like is they package most of their rodents on trays. Never any breakage during shipment or separation. Always very clean and no smell. Sizes are very consistent.
I still price check but I always end up back at Big Cheese because of the high quality of packaging and product even if they come out a few dollars higher.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:56 AM   #7
jp8899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
I got 850 of all sizes but it was $340 with shipping since I didn't take advantage of some of the sales (I try to use hairless when possible). Still, I did get peach fuzzies and fuzzies for $0.19 each which is pretty good, and I'm pleased with the packing. Only complaint was that the peach fuzzies especially smelled of mouse urine, but the babies don't seem to care!

I have been buying rodents from rodent Pro for about 12 years now and I haven't had not one single problem with them and Casey has taken care of me every time any time that I need help. Sometimes if I go to the Columbus reptile show I am able to pick them up without paying the shipping I just call ahead with my order and pick up at the show.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:11 AM   #8
MtPH
We have used RodentPro for many years. Good product, good price, excellent customer service! Price is even better if you can take advantage of the regular sales.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google