CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

breeding mice

Old 12-27-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
dirtymaxLB7
breeding mice

I want to try to breed mice and just start out with a male and a female. Where would be a good place to get them? My local petsmart only has males apparantly for the pets so idk where to go.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:23 PM   #2
MysticExotics
Look around for local breeders. I would not get them from a petstore, unless the mice come from a local breeder with a good reputation for being healthy animals.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:23 PM   #3
Allalaskan
I hve been thinking about doing the same thing so im curios to hear from peoples responces.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:26 PM   #4
MysticExotics
I have a 1/4 ratio of mice. (1 male, 4 females) in the bin.
My mice are from a local breeder in southwest WA.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:40 PM   #5
dirtymaxLB7
well i just wanted to start out with a small litter to see how it works out. Also ive been getting different answers but can a male be left in with the female after the babies are born?

Old 12-27-2010, 10:19 PM   #6
MysticExotics
I have no problems leaving my male in with my females. If the females are prego from a previous male, the male may eat the babies, but once the female(s) have babies from him, they tend to leave them alone.
I cull the pinkies within a few days of being born, since the majority of my snakes are hatchlings.
I leave the females & the male together, & just keep them fed & watered, & I wait to clean out the bin until after all the females have had their babies, so as not to stress them out during pregnancy.
When you have a colony with a few females & the male, they generally work as a group to take care of the babies.
I have had success with adding a bit of high protein dog or cat food kibble, it helps prevent cannibalism. I have heard of people throwing in scraps of meat (leftover dinner) & such, but be careful of spices & sauces.

I also put wads of toilet paper in & also the t.p. tubes in for them. They use the t.p. for bedding, & they've made little tunnels out of the tubes.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:22 PM   #7
dirtymaxLB7
I buy meow mix for my cats so can i feed them that for the extra protein. And also would two females be better than one because i have heard they actually help each other out

Old 12-27-2010, 10:30 PM   #8
MysticExotics
That would probably be ok for a short period of time, but I personally steer clear of grocery store brand foods, for any of my animals.

I feed Before Grain chicken cat food.

You can easily have 3 or 4 females in with one male. I know people that have had up to 6 females with one male.
As long as you have an adequate sized bin/container for them.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:42 PM   #9
dirtymaxLB7
would drawers like these work to keep mice in if i put wire mesh on the front air and a water bottle attachment?
http://www.target.com/Sterilite-Draw...i_detailbutton

Old 12-27-2010, 11:28 PM   #10
MysticExotics
Maybe...I have heard of mice chewing through bins that have corners, instead of rounded edges, but I have not experienced this personally.
For bins that size, I would probably keep it to 2, (maybe) 3 females, with one male. Then you're looking at 3 males, one for each bin, correct? Males stink more than females.
I would probably add airholes in the bins as well. Unless you're in a real dry area, you will likely have high humidity, causing condensation buildup, which is bad, & can cause them to get sick.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google